Thursday, March 29, 2012

nothing, nothing...

Yesterday I was typing a post here and I said I saw five movies that I thought were really good, during an 11-year time span.

I was not specific enough -- actually I saw many more movies that I thought were really good, during that time space -- films from all different years and eras. The difference with the five I've noted here,
The Last Waltz
Body Heat
The Big Chill
Witness
When Harry Met Sally...


was that I saw them at, or close to, the time when they came out, from Hollywood into the theaters.

In that time frame, saw many old movies that were great, but what I was talking about with these five particular ones was that, I saw them when they were new, & I sort of unconsciously constructed a (mistaken) idea (or assumption) in my head that the film industry was just going to keep on giving me more films that were going to be an elevating experience. That's where my mistake lay.

I feel frustrated and "brick-wall-ish" (like hitting head against brick wall) because I want to discuss & explain why these movies seemed, to me, so great -- but it's hard.

Intellectuals and (heaven help us) critics talk about movies in long words and melodious phrases
whereas I reach for words, sentences, and all kindsa melodious shit, and can only stand speechless and occasionally murmur, about one of these movies, "That was --
really --
good.

That was -- really, really good.

That was really, really, really good."

Nothing like dazzling rhetoric.

-------------------------
(Harry and Sally ordering dinner in a road-side restaurant):
Waitress:
Hi, what can I get you?

Harry:
I'll have a number three.

Sally:
I'd like the chef salad please with the oil and vinegar on the side and the apple pie a la mode.

Waitress:
Chef and apple a la mode.

Sally:
But I'd like the pie heated and I don't want the ice cream on top

I want it on the side

and I'd like strawberry instead of vanilla

if you have it

if not then no ice cream just

whipped cream but only if it's real

if it's out of a can

then nothing.

Waitress:
Not even the pie?

Sally:
No, just the pie, but then not heated.

Waitress:
Uh huh.

[Harry's staring at Sally, across the table.]

Sally:
What?

Harry:
Nothing. Nothing....

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment