Tuesday, June 12, 2012

from Nutbush to Butcher Holler

Yesterday when I was thinking of Representative number Eleven I remembered another time, when Tina Turner's "Twenty-four Seven" album had just come out:  I had it on cassette, and I showed it to Rep. 11 -- he liked Tina Turner.  And he seemed to be interested in her new album if that was what I felt like telling him, at the moment. 

Since it was Friday and everyone was going home for the weekend, & he had about a two & a half-hour drive ahead of him, I loaned him the cassette.

He listened to it in the car while he drove, and gave it back to me Monday.  He liked it.

-------------------------------------------------
I only began to really get into Tina Turner's music after I read her autobiography entitled I, Tina (written with Kurt Loder).

And I didn't want to read the book, at first when it came out, because I'd heard about the content and I thought, I can't stand a couple hundred pages of wall-to-wall wife-beating.  The book came out in 1986 and I heard about it but did not read it, but then I read it in 1993 -- maybe because the film version was coming out.  And when I read it, I was really knocked out.  I couldn't believe how good it was.

One of the reviewers wrote, "This is rock history with substance!"  I agreed.

I especially liked how Tina would say, resolutely, how if something wasn't right, or something wasn't going as well as she would have liked, she took another approach.
Like -- This went wrong, and so I did that.
I remember reading someplace that the reason she often wears fish-net stockings was because they don't get runs, or show runs, as readily as regular nylons.  Kind of like -- there was a practical reason for many of the details associated with her glamorous image.

She has a tremendous resoluteness about her, something a person notices when watching Coal Miner's Daughter, the story of Loretta Lynn's life, as well.

With Tina Turner's life story, I prefer the book over the movie.
For Loretta Lynn's story, I like the movie best.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment