Thursday, June 28, 2012

it just might work

Nora Ephron, writer of the screenplay for When Harry Met Sally, died.

The news lines say 6-year battle with leukemia and no one knew except her close family members.

I thought that was an interesting way of dealing with things.  It's the opposite of the people who relentlessly regale their contemporaries (or any audience they can find) with announcements and descriptions of ailments small and large, real and imagined.

These people who influenced and illuminated our lives keep dying lately:  Levon Helm, Nora Ephron. ...

-------------------------
quotations from Nora Ephron:

I am continually fascinated at the difficulty intelligent people have in distinguishing what is controversial from what is merely offensive.



Insane people are always sure that they are fine. It is only the sane people who are willing to admit that they are crazy.


My mother wanted us to understand that the tragedies of your life one day have the potential to be comic stories the next.


Whenever I get married, I start buying Gourmet magazine


Sometimes I believe that some people are better at love than others, and sometimes I believe that everyone is faking it.



It struck me that the movies had spent more than half a century saying, ''They lived happily ever after'' and the following quarter-century warning that they'll be lucky to make it through the weekend. Possibly now we are entering a third era in which the movies will be sounding a note of cautious optimism: "You know, it just might work.”

RIP

-30-







No comments:

Post a Comment