Tuesday, August 14, 2012

thin glamour

In the movie Birth of the Blues, a singer played by Mary Martin (mother of Larry Hagman -- "J.R. Ewing" on Dallas) asks a guy to teach her how to sing in a more jazzy, "hot" style -- he says, "Well you take a song, and you sing it exactly how it hasn't been written."...

It seemed to me what he was talking about is what the kids -- the hip-hop people -- call
free-styling
or
a "re-mix"
or
a "mash-up."

So I ventured to try a tiny "mash-up" in my title for that post --
after reviewing
"the waiter and the porter and the upstairs maid"
and
"the Atchison, Topeka, and the Santa Fe"
I put it together as
"Waiting for the porter on the Santa Fe"
which changes it,
mixes it up,
mixes it together
and makes a new phrase
which is still in the style of the Johnny Mercer phrases which went before.

I'll try anything once.

(That's not true, but it sounds good.)

I will try that, once.

Maybe I could begin a new trend:  Free-styling rap-hip-hop Mash-ups while Wearing Clothes. 

Perpetrated --
er, I meant performed --
by ancient humans.

--------------------------
Glancing across the internet, see a headline:
"Vogue Paris Gets New Look With September 2012 Issue".

So -- I click on that, to see this "NEW LOOK" on Vogue,
and I see a magazine cover with a
very glamorous and thin
woman
wearing a very glamorous and expensive
outfit,
and staring forward into the lens with that expression of patient annoyance so popular with models.
And I'm like -- what is "new" about this "look"?
That is how Vogue always looks.
Which is fine.

Maybe there was something new about it that I just didn't "get."  Meanwhile the thing I did notice about the photograph of the model (Kate Moss) was that her right shoulder is showing and her neck-lines, and shoulder, and -- I think it's the "clavicle" -- are pronounced by her thin-ness, still I noted that she doesn't appear to have this bony bump that I've noticed during Academy Awards ceremonies on some of the actresses -- there's this bump that a lot of them have, on the shoulder, sort of mid-way between the base of the neck and the tip of the shoulder.

I don't have that and I used to look at my shoulders, and go, "Is there something wrong with me, am I supposed to have this bump?  Why do these actresses have this bump on their shoulder and I don't?"

If I were thin enough, would I attain this bony bump?

And then, stepping back, with common sense speaking to the self-esteem which wavers and shrinks a little, in the face of so much concentrated glamour, I heard my own Common Sense telling me, "You don't even like the bump!  It looks -- abrupt, and...sharp, and...bumpy.  Who needs it?  If you had the shoulder-bump, you wouldn't want it!  Chill out!!  Be happy, already!!!"

And now I see that even Kate Moss doesn't have the bump on the shoulder.  So I'm going to let that particular source of anxiety go. ...

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment