Thursday, October 11, 2012

come on


"Singing in the Rain"

sung and danced by Gene Kelly

created an iconic Entertainment Moment -- (American Moment) -- which today probably a majority of people have experienced excerpted, just the scene with that song performance, rather than viewing the whole film.

"Doo-dloo-doo-doo-doo
Doo-dloo-doo-doo-doo-doo
Doo-dloo-doo-doo-doo-doo
Doo-dloo-doo-doo-doo-doo...

I'm singing in the rain
Just singing in the rain
What a glorious feelin'
I'm happy again
I'm laughing at clouds
So dark up above
the sun's in my heart
And I'm ready for love

Let the stormy clouds chase
Everyone from the place
Come on with the rain
I've a smile on my face
I walk down the lane
With a happy refrain
Just singin' --
Singin' in the rain...."

------------------------------------------------
We could have used some Rain this year, but we don't always get it....With drought having descended on farms and ranches in some parts of the country this year, could not help but think of a re-write of this song, from the point-of-view of the "dark side" -- or maybe should say, the dry side....

Damn-damn-damn-damn-
damn-damn-damn-damn-damn-damn

We're cursing in the drought,
Just cursing in the drought.
What a des-perate feelin'
We're grumpy again.
We're complaining in cafés;
Gotta drill a new well --
The sun's parched the earth,
We're -- 'bout ready to sell.

Let the dust & wind chase
Everyone from the place
We're tired of this drought,
I've a glare on my face.
As I'm driving my route,
all my profit's in doubt,
I'm cursin' --
Still cursin' -- in the drought.

-----------------------------  Ergh....

Gene Kelly's dancing was muscular and athletic -- he skimmed, flew, and stomped!  Unmatchable.  And I have always noticed and somehow really liked the line in Sing-rain where he says, come on with the rain.

"Let the stormy clouds chase

Everyone from the place

Come on with the rain

I've a smile on my face"...That "come on with the rain" -- I don't know why I like it, but it always got my attention and seemed great.
Like -- "bring it on!" or something....

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment