Friday, January 11, 2013

a crimp in my evening


Reading an article:  it says stress because of a past experience can take the form of "guilt" -- like "survivor guilt"...when the person can barely even take care of and protect himself successfully, he starts worrying about, like, Everybody In The World! 

Which he is, of course, ill-equipped to take on....

They list these conditions and symptoms:
An unusually strong sense of vulnerability;
Feelings of worthlessness, rejection, a sense of being unwanted, unlikeable and unlovable;
A feeling of being small, insignificant, and invisible;
An overwhelming sense of betrayal;
and many, many more.  (Someone's done a lot of work and study in that area!)

And in the "survivor guilt" part it lists, as a condition --

"reluctance to feel happiness and joy because one's sense of other people's suffering throughout the world is heightened."

That made me think of another scene in Annie Hall -- Alvy flies out to Los Angeles to see Annie -- she had moved out there after they broke up, to record music, etc.  They meet for lunch at a health food restaurant (a 70s stereotype based on reality...Alvy says to the waitress, "I'll have the alfalfa sprouts -- and a plate -- of -- mashed -- yeast."  Wow, man.  Totally).

He wants to get back together, but she's happy where she's at -- in CA, and not in that relationship.

ANNIE:  Alvy, you're incapable of enjoying life, you know that?  I mean, your life is New York City.  You're just this person.  You're like this island unto yourself.

ALVY  (toying with his car keys):  I can't enjoy anything unless I ... unless everybody is.  I -- you know, if one guy is starving someplace, that's ... you know, I-I ... it puts a crimp in my evening.
(Looking down at his hands, sadly) -- So you wanna get married, or what?

========================  That film is a statement unto itself.  It won an Academy Award.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment