Tuesday, August 13, 2013

disrupted and disputed--(P.R.)


Looking at those 1976 primary-season results that I was typing-and-contemplating yesterday, it was kind of weird -- 17% for -- Wallace -- in -- Massachusetts???!!!

George "Schoolhouse Door" Wallace getting votes in a Northern state chock-full of colleges and universities???!!

Ehrgh--but it was 1976, in the early years of the busing experiment -- those were anti-busing votes from South Boston ("Southie") one might surmise....

AND -- Bruce Springsteen! -- I didn't know that he wrote "Blinded By The Light"...when you listen to it, with that knowledge, it's like, yeah -- that song has running, rolling, desperate exuberance not dissimilar to "Born To Run"...
(In the day we sweat it out in the streets
of a runaway American dream
At night we ride through
mansions of glory
in suicide machines
-----Blinded by the light
Wrapped up like a deuce, another runner in the night....)

And --
Manfred Mann's Earth Band.

Earth.
Band.

That kind of epitomizes the 70s....   :D

---------------[excerpt-Reeves-'76 primary and convention counts]---------- VIRGINIA
April 3
County and municipal meetings gave 30 percent of the vote to Carter to 9 percent for Udall, 2 for Wallace.  Fifty-eight percent was uncommitted.

Delegate count before June 10: Carter--23; Udall--7; uncommitted--24.

Convention vote:  Carter--48; Udall--6.

NEW YORK
April 6
Jackson ran ahead in a primary election that allocated delegate votes by congressional districts.

Delegate count before June 10:  Jackson--103; Udall--73; Carter--33; uncommitted--65.

Convention vote:  Carter--209 1/2; Udall--56 l/2; Brown--4; Jackson--4.

WISCONSIN
April 6
Carter won the primary election with 37 percent of the vote to 36 percent for Udall, 13 for Wallace, 7 for Jackson.

Delegate count before June 10:  Carter--26; Udall--25; Wallace--10; Jackson--6; McCormack--1.

Convention vote:  Carter--29; Udall--25; Wallace--10; Jackson--3; McCormack--1.

MISSOURI
April 20
Ward and township meetings gave Carter 14 percent of the vote to 6 percent for Udall, 3 for McCormack, 2 for Humphrey, 2 for Jackson, 2 for Wallace.  Sixty-seven percent was uncommitted, but many delegates switched to Carter when his candidacy was endorsed by Senator Thomas Eagleton.

Delegate count before June 10:  Carter--39; Udall--3; Jackson--1; McCormack--1; uncommitted--27.

Convention vote:  Carter--58; McCormack--7; Udall--4; Brown--2.

ARIZONA
April 24
County meetings gave Udall 71 percent of the vote to 10 percent for Carter, 7 for Wallace, 5 for Jackson, 2 for Church.

Delegate count before June 10:  Udall--19; Carter--5; Wallace--1.

Convention vote:  Udall--19; Carter--6.

PUERTO RICO
April 24
Electoral district caucuses, which had been disrupted and disputed in February, were reconvened and gave Jackson a majority of the commonwealth's delegates.

Delegate count before June 10:  Jackson--15; uncommitted--7.

Convention vote:  Carter--22.

VIRGIN ISLANDS
April 24
At mass meetings on St. Thomas and St. Croix three uncommitted delegates were selected.

Delegate count before June 10:  uncommitted--3.

Convention vote:  Carter--3.

NORTH DAKOTA
April 27
Precinct caucuses gave Humphrey 7 percent of the vote to 3 percent for Carter.  Ninety percent was uncommitted.

Delegate count before June 10:  uncommitted--13.

Convention vote:  Carter--13.

PENNSYLVANIA
April 27
Carter won the primary election with 37 percent of the vote to 25 percent for Jackson, 19 for Udall, 11 for Wallace.

Delegate count before June 10:  Carter--66; Udall--23; Jackson--20; Shapp--17; Wallace--3; uncommitted--49.  [[Shapp??]]

Convention vote:  Carter--151; Udall--21; Brown--6.

NEW MEXICO
April 29
County conventions gave Carter 44 percent of the vote to 28 percent for Udall.  Twenty-eight percent was uncommitted.

Delegate count before June 10:  Carter--9; Udall--6; uncommitted--3.

Convention vote:  Carter--14; Udall--4.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I looked out this morning and the sun was gone
turned on some music to start my day
I lost myself in a familiar song
I closed my eyes and I slipped away

It's more than a feeling, when I hear
that old song they used to play
(more than a feeling)
I begin dreaming (more than a feeling)
'til I see Marianne walk away
I see my Marianne walkin' away

So many people have come and gone
their faces fade as the years go by
Yet I still recall as I wander on
as clear as the sun in the summer sky

It's more than a feeling,
when I hear that old song they used to play
(more than a feeling)
I begin dreaming (more than a feeling)
'til I see Marianne walk away
I see my Marianne walkin' away

When I'm tired and thinking cold
I hide in my music, forget the day
and dream of a girl I used to know
I closed my eyes and she slipped away
She slipped away.  She slipped away.

It's more than a feeling,

when I hear that old song they used to play
(more than a feeling)
I begin dreaming (more than a feeling)
'til I see Marianne walk away
I see my Marianne walkin' away

=======================

{book excerpt:  Convention.  Richard Reeves.  1977.  Harcourt.}

{song:  "More Than a Feeling" -- written by Tom Scholz -- released by the rock band Boston, 1976, on the Epic label}

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment