Wednesday, August 14, 2013

EVERYBODY has won...


What Fun! 
Democrat candidates for mayor of New York City, competing with each other in the primary, debated last evening:
Public Advocate Bill de Blasio
City Council Speaker Christine Quinn
former Congressman Anthony Weiner
ex-comptroller Bill Thompson
current Comptroller John Liu.

I felt like, "They were ALL good!"
Then thought, this morning,
Yes, and when I get to see a recorded debate of all the Republican candidates running for mayor of New York, then I'm going to think THEY were "ALL good!" ...

------------- {This question the Dodo could not answer without a great deal of thought....At last the Dodo said, 'EVERYBODY has won, and all must have prizes.'...
-- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland} ---------------

...Although one would come in last, I guess -- Christine Quinn -- more than any other candidate in the debate -- had trouble staying (or was refusing to stay) inside the time-limit for speaking.  Felt, to me, like she was putting herself above the rules...
It's
public service,
not
public domination.

And if there's a spot after "Last" I guess it pretty obviously would have to be home to Anthony Weiner.  He did a decent job in the debate, but it's too late.  He created circumstances for himself where he's turned into a cartoon -- he's no longer three-dimensional, he's like a cardboard-cut-out....Everyone in America -- and possibly in the world -- has got -- Weiner-Fatigue.  We've wearied of the repetitive nonsense.

You know, a political debate is not a" beauty contest" -- but when someone does what he did, it leaves people with the impression that this guy must think he's a real "Romeo" or a sex symbol, or whatever and then you involuntarily start looking at him through that "lens" and sort of judging him -- and I couldn't help but remember a Comment typed on an article about him, back two years ago when he was doing it the first time -- the Comment was from a woman in one of those states in the middle -- Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, or something...she wrote, "Well
he is
not
good-looking
by any standard I'm aware of. ..."

----------------------------- [excerpt, Reeves-Convention -- 1976 primary vote-counts]------ GUAM
May 1
At a party mass meeting, three uncommitted delegates were selected.

Delegate count before June 10:  uncommitted--3.

Convention vote:  Carter--3.

LOUISIANA
May 1
Carter won 10 delegates in the primary election to 7 delegates for Wallace.  Fifteen other delegates were uncommitted.  Nine were chosen by the state Democratic Central Committee, in the same proportion as those elected in the primary.

Delegate count before June 10:  Carter---13; Wallace---9; uncommitted---19.

Convention vote:  Carter---35; Wallace---5; Brown---1.

TEXAS
May 1
Carter won 92 of 98 delegates selected by congressional districts in the primary election, with 32 more selected at a state convention on June 18.

Delegate count before June 10:  Carter---112; Bentsen---6; Brown---2; Wallace---1; uncommitted---9.

Convention vote:  Carter---124; Brown---4; Leon Jaworski---1; Wallace---1.

COLORADO
May 3
Precinct caucuses gave Carter 23 percenet of the vote to 14 percent for Udall, 13 for Church, 7 for Brown.

Delegate count before June 10:  Udall---4; Brown---2; Carter---2; Church---2; uncommitted---25.

Convention vote:  Carter---15; Brown---11; Udall---6; Church---3.

ALABAMA
May 4
Wallace won the primary election with 51 percent of the vote to 27 percent for Carter.

Delegate count before June 10:  Wallace---27; Carter---3; uncommitted---5.

Convention vote:  Carter---30; Wallace---5.


DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
May 4
Carter won the primary election with 40 percent of the vote to 26 percent for Udall.

Delegate count before June 10:  Carter---8; Udall---5; uncommitted---4.

Convention vote:  Carter---12; Udall---5.

GEORGIA
May 4
Carter won the primary election with 84 percent of the vote to 11 percent for Wallace, 2 for Udall.

Delegate count before June 10:  Carter---50.

Convention vote:  Carter---50.

INDIANA
May 4
Carter won the primary election with 68 percent of the vote to 15 percent for Wallace, 12 for Jackson, 5 for McCormack.

Delegate count before June 10:  Carter---51; Wallace---10; uncommitted---14.

Convention vote:  Carter---72; Wallace---3.

CONNECTICUT
May 11
Town primary elections gave Carter 33 percent of the vote to 31 percent for Udall, 18 for Jackson, 5 for McCormack.  Thirteen percent was uncommitted.

Delegate count before June 10:  Carter---35; Udall---16.

Convention vote:  Carter---35; Udall---16.

NEBRASKA
May 11
Church won the primary election with 39 percent of the vote to 38 percent for Carter, 7 for Humphrey.

Delegate count before June 10:  Church---15; Carter---8.

Convention vote:  Carter---20; Brown---3.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't go breaking my heart
.....I couldn't if I tried

Honey, if I get restless
.....Baby you're not that kind

(mmh - bom-bom-bom-bom-bom
POM)
Don't go breaking my heart
.....You take the weight off me
Honey when you knock on my door --
.....I gave you my key

(Oooh--Oooh)
Nobody knows it
When I was down
I was your clown
--Nobody knows it

Right from the start
I gave you my heart
I gave you my heart

So don't go breakin' my heart
I won't go breaking your heart
Don't go breaking my heart

And nobody told us
'Cause nobody showed us
And now it's up to us, babe
I think we can make it

So don't misunderstand me
You put the light in my life
You put the sparks to the flame
I've got your heart in my sights

==========================
{book excerpt -- Convention.  Reeves.  Harcourt, 1977.}
{song:  "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" -- recorded, Elton John with Kiki Dee; written, Elton John with Bernie Taupin; released 21 June 1976, MCA Records (US / Canada)}

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment