Monday, December 23, 2013

cherry make it two


By the snow cone vendor.

MATTY
You want to buy me something?  I'll take one of those.

RACINE
What kind?

MATTY
Cherry.

RACINE
(to Vendor)
Cherry, make it two.
(to Matty)
You're not staying in Miranda Beach.
I would have noticed you.

MATTY
Is this town that small?

RACINE
(a small laugh, then he speculates for a moment)
Pinehaven.  You've staying up in Pinehaven, on the waterway.
(she gives him a look, surprised)
You have a house.

MATTY
How'd you know that?

RACINE
You look like Pinehaven.

-- How does Pinehaven look?

-- Well tended.

-- I'm well tended, all right.  Well tended.
(she looks away from the ocean, and back at him)
What about you?

-- Me?  I need tending.  I need someone to take care of me.  Rub my tired muscles.  Smooth out my sheets.

-- Get married.

-- I just need it for tonight.

-------------------- [excerpt -- Body Heat script, written, Lawrence Kasdan]

In one of the special features on the DVD, Lawrence Kasdan discusses his aim to have each character in the movie have "something worth doing."  And to let each character "surprise us with their humanity" -- I think is how he puts it.

And he succeeded, at that.  Each character does surprise us (the audience) with their "humanity"....Like, there are people in this film who -- they aren't like anyone you would hang around with, and they aren't like anyone you know, and yet you find them interesting, and you are amused by them, and you kind of like them, even if you do not like some of the things they do....So -- it's weird, that way.  Interesting.  "Satisfying," as Lawrence Kasdan would say.

An early-career Mickey Rourke appeared in Body Heat -- I read an article by a professor who said when her students watched the movie, none of them recognized Mickey Rourke, though they all knew who he was...!  Something's "off" with his face, now -- I don't know, boxing or something...

But in this film, when he tells Racine (portrayed by William Hurt), "Are you ready to hear something?  See if this sounds familiar.  Anytime you try a decent crime, there's fifty ways you can f--k up.  If you think of twenty-five of them, then you're a genius.  And you ain't no genius."  (smiles)  "You remember who told me that?"  When he sits there on his bunk in his mechanic shop, and gives his attorney back his own advice...!  ...you remember who told me that...? 

He was good.

Later in the 80s I attended or rented 3 or 4 or 5 more movies just because they had Mickey Rourke in them.  And they were disappointing; I wouldn't watch any of them again.  Well -- they weren't Body Heat. 

After she says "Get married" and Ned answers,
"I just need it for tonight"
Matty Walker laughs unexpectedly, and spills some of the snow cone on the front of her dress.
[screenplay excerpt]

MATTY
Oh -- nice move, Matty.
 
RACINE
Matty.  I like it.  It's right over your heart.
 
-- At least it's cool.  I was burning up.
 
-- I asked you not to talk about the heat.
 
-- Would you get me a paper towel or something?  Dip it in some cold water - ?
 
-- Right away. ...

------------------------- [end excerpt]
He goes into a nearby men's room, gets paper towels, dampens them at the sink.
When he comes back out, she has disappeared into the night.
He looks around for her -- not there -- and in disappointment he leans back against the rail, and touches the wet paper towel to the back of his neck.

A jazz-blues saxophoned instrumental -- the Body Heat music by John Barry -- bubbles in, then, and carries through the next few short scenes cut closely together -- Ned driving his red convertible car; Ned lying on his bed, shirtless, with a cold drink in a can; Ned back at the outdoor concert, looking around, wondering if he will see her again. ...the music is laid-back, lounge-y, balmy, voluptuous, insinuating...to paraphrase Mr. Kasdan again -- "satisfying."

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment