Monday, December 9, 2013

cold spy


"too hard; too cold"

A poem about cold weather
Is hard to write
Because you don't know what to say
Because cold is tedious,
Harsh and ouch-y, dull & bleak
And makes things break
And leak
So what else does "cold" apply to? --
"Cold comfort"
The Cold War
The spy who came in from the cold
= = = 1.  "Checkpoint."  The American handed Leamas another cup of coffee and said, "Why don't you go back and sleep?  We can ring you if he shows up."
Leamas said nothing, just stared through the window of the checkpoint, along the empty street.
"You can't wait forever, sir...."
Frozen Love
= = = You may not be as strong as me
and I may not care to teach you
It may be hard to keep up with me
But I'll always be able to reach you
And if you go forward...I'll meet you there
and if you climb up through the cold, freezing air
Look down below you.....search out above
and cry out to life for a frozen love
Life gave me you, there the change was made
There's no beginning over
You are not happy, but -- what is love?
Hate gave you  me for a lover
And if you go forward....I'll meet you there
And if you climb up through the cold freezing air
Look down below you.....search out above
and cry out to life for a frozen love

------------------------
{book excerpt:  The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, by John le CarrĂ©. September 1963, pub. Victor Gollancz & Pan.}
{song:  "Frozen Love" -- Buckingham Nicks album, 1973, Polydor label - written by L. Buckingham and S. Nicks.}

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment