Tuesday, December 16, 2014

today's guest is not a murderous heathen



("You know you've hit rock bottom when you've been told you have character flaws by a man who hanged his predecessor in a military coup."
-- Charlie Wilson)


----------------------------


Next scene is in a big Houston ballroom.


Abuzz with dressed-up people.
A-clink with silverware and water-glasses.





Congressman Charles Wilson is tête-à-tête with President Zia ul-Haq from Pakistan.


Pres. Zia (in a low voice vibrating with disbelief) -- You want me to go into business with the Israelis?


Charlie -- Just for this one purpose, yes, Mr. President.  The Israelis have the largest stockpile of Soviet-made weapons in friendly hands.


Zia -- I know that.  (pauses, thinks)  I need to trust that this arrangement will remain secret.  Pakistan and Israel would have to appear to be enemies in the public eye.


Charlie (with faint irony) -- Yeah, I don't think that's a tough sell.


Zia -- You have authority to do this?
Charlie -- None whatsoever.  In fact, I'm pretty close to violating the Logan Act.
Zia -- Well, I don't know what that is.  But Charlie.
Charlie -- Yes, sir.
Zia (mega-intense) -- If I see one [flipping] Star of David on a crate...
Charlie -- You won't.  I promise.





CONGRESSMAN WILSON SPEAKS TO HIS FRIEND JOANNE HERRING.


Charlie (glancing toward the paper she's packing) -- You want me to take a look at those remarks?


Joanne -- Why?


Charlie -- Just...Well, your introduction -- want me to look it over?


Joanne -- It's an introduction, Charlie I'll be fine.


She is firm, independent, confident, glamorous, unstoppable. 


She speaks to the audience, standing at a microphone.


Joanne -- Today we honor President Zia ul-Haq of Pakistan.
(AUDIENCE APPLAUDING)


Joanne -- "Before we go any further, I would like you all to know this."
(elegant pause)
"President Zia did not kill Bhutto."


-------------------------------
The President of Pakistan winces and looks astounded.


Charlie Wilson drops something clattering onto the table, in surprise, and looks astonished and profoundly aggravated.


---------------------------
---------------------------
{Charlie Wilson's War.  Directed by Mike Nichols.  Based on the book written by George Crile.}


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment