Wednesday, May 13, 2015

well be careful you don't lose yours



People who work in law enforcement know about the Miranda Rights from their job:  most of us hear of it from TV or movies -- "his Miranda Rights" ...


I say, What about our Aretha Rights??!


What about our





right to listen to our Aretha Franklin music CDs, unpestered??!!?


Unmolested, unprotested, unpolyestered, and unpestered??





r-e-s-p-e-c-t
find out what it means to me
sock it to me
sock it to me
sockittomesockittome
it's all right now, in fact it's a gas
but it's all right, I'm Jumpin' Jack Flash,
it's a gas-gas-gas!


[bahm bahm, b-b-bah-ba-ba-bahm]


I was drowned, I was washed up and left for dead
chainchainchain
chain chain chain
chain chain chay-ay-ay-ay-ay-ay-ayn
chain of fools
People walk around every day
Playin' games and takin' scores
Tryin' to make other people lose their mind
Well, be careful you don't lose yours


Ooh think (think)
Think about what you're tryin' to do to me
oo-oo, think (think)
Let your mind go, let yourself be free


________________________


When I told my hairstylist about the policeman ringing my doorbell, years ago, to ask me to turn my music down because a neighbor had complained, my hairstylist said, in her usual low-key, sensible style, "If you could hear the doorbell, then the music wasn't that loud."


[Palms up, mouth agape]


Well -- uh -- YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Now see I would have never thought of that.


(People think in a variety of ways, that's why different people can make valuable contributions.)


__________________________


I got to thinking about Aretha Franklin's music lately because I watched the "Muscle Shoals" DVD -- which is about pioneering recording studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama.  Aretha Franklin had her breakthrough to "her sound" working there. 





One of "the Swampers" (backup musicians) says, "She walked over to the piano, and hit an unknown chord..."


At Muscle Shoals, she recorded


"I ain't never --


Loved a man --


The way that I --


I love you..."


Also Wilson Pickett recorded there, at the Fame Studio





"Land of 1000 Dances"


"Mustang Sally" ...


In the film, Paul Simon says to the guy at Stax Records in Memphis, "I want those same black musicians that you had on "I'll Take You There" and the Stax producer answers, "You can have 'em, but they're mighty pale"









Jerry Wexler; Aretha Franklin


________________________


Stax Records in Memphis


Sun Records in Memphis


Fame in Muscle Shoals, Alabama


Chess Records in Chicago


Motown - Detroit


Just imagine


________________


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment