Monday, May 28, 2018

with a dark cloud above you










     American novelist Philip Roth died last Tuesday, at the age of 85.

     He worked a lot, and wrote many books.


------------------- [excerpt, Goodbye, Columbus] ----------------

     "...How did you meet her?"

     "I didn't really meet her.  I saw her."

     "Who is she?"

     "Her last name is Patimkin."

     "Patimkin I don't know," Aunt Gladys said, as if she knew anybody who belonged to the Green Lane Country Club.  "You're going to call her you don't know her?"

     "Yes," I explained.  "I'll introduce myself."

     "Casanova," she said, and went back to preparing my uncle's dinner.  None of us ate together:  my Aunt Gladys ate at five o'clock, my cousin Susan at five-thirty, me at six, and my uncle at six-thirty.  There is nothing to explain this beyond the fact that my aunt is crazy.

     "Where's the suburban phone book?" I asked after pulling out all the books tucked under the telephone table.

     "What?"

     "The suburban phone book.  I want to call Short Hills."

     "That skinny book?  What, I gotta clutter my house with that, I never use it?"
     "Where is it?"
     "Under the dresser where the leg came off."
     "For God's sake," I said.

     "Call information better.  You'll go yanking around there, you'll mess up my drawers.  Don't bother me, you see your uncle'll be home soon.  I haven't even fed you yet."


     "Aunt Gladys, suppose tonight we all eat together.  It's hot, it'll be easier for you."

     "Sure, I should serve four different meals at once.  You eat pot roast, Susan with the cottage cheese, Max has steak.  Friday night is his steak night, I wouldn't deny him.  And I'm having a little cold chicken.  I should jump up and down twenty different times?  What am I, a workhorse?"

     "Why don't we all have steak, or cold chicken -- "
     "Twenty years I'm running a house.  Go call your girl friend."

_____________________________

If you're driving into town 
With a dark cloud above you
Dial in the number
Who's bound to love you

Oh honey you turn me on
I'm a radio
I'm a country station
I'm a little bit corny
I'm a wildwood flower
Waving for you
Broadcasting tower
Waving for you


And I'm sending you out
This signal here
I hope you can pick it up
Loud and clear...

----------------------------------------------
On the Internet, type in
Joni Mitchell, you turn me on I'm a radio

and play.







-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment