Monday, February 11, 2019

climbing out of the elevator car ceiling




LARRY
Don't tell me to relax!  I'm-I'm-I'm a-a world-renowned claustrophobic.

CAROL
It's okay.  It's okay, everything's going to be fine.

LARRY
Stop.  Hit something.

CAROL
I am hitting it.

LARRY
I don't like this, I don't, I don't...

CAROL
I know, I know.  It's okay.

LARRY
It's easy for you to say, but I can't breathe, I'm phobic.

CAROL
The- the idea is, there's plenty of air, in this elevator.  Uh, Larry, relax.  Now, if you just don't panic, okay?  Don't panic, all right?

LARRY
I'm not panicking, I'm not panicking, I'm...

CAROL
Now, just don't worry.

LARRY
I'm just going to say the rosary, now.

CAROL
Somebody'll help us.  Somebody's gonna help us.  Somebody'll find us here.  Hello!

                            She hits the door with the palms of her hands.

LARRY
Oh, I don't know, I don't like this.

CAROL
Hello!

LARRY
Say something.

CAROL
Hello!  Hello!

LARRY
I don't like this.

CAROL
Oh, God, look, just...

                         Larry is getting really hysterical, moving his hands nervously around him.

LARRY
I'm running over a field, I see open meadows.  I see a stallion.

CAROL
Yes, it's...

LARRY
I'm a stallion.

CAROL
Shh.  Shut up, Larry.

LARRY
There's-There's a cool breeze passing over me.

CAROL
Larry, just shut up and calm down.  Just, okay?  You're gonna be --

LARRY
I see grass.  I see dirt.

CAROL
Larry, shut up.  Hello?!  Hello!

LARRY
You know, you said, you said, 'Act as a policeman.'

CAROL
I know, yeah.

LARRY
I said 'No.'  You said 'Pretend to be a policeman.'  You said 'Show him your card.'  I said 'What card'...

CAROL
Okay, wait a minute.  I know what.  Here, just...  Larry, boost me up.

LARRY
You know, I can--

                         Carol points to the ceiling of the cabin.

CAROL
Boost me up, and we'll get out there.  We're gonna do it.

LARRY
I can't get through those things.

CAROL
Yeah.  Yes we can.  I can do it.  I can loosen it.

LARRY
It'll never open, they're painted shut.

CAROL
No, wait.  No, Larry.

LARRY
They're-They're...  They-they never, they-- they never open.

CAROL
Come on.  All right, put your hands together.  Come on.  Put your hands together.

LARRY
I'm breathing.

CAROL
No, no, it's okay.

LARRY
I can't breathe.  I can't breathe.

CAROL
Larry!

LARRY
I can't breathe.  I can't breathe.

CAROL
Larry, I mean, it's just-- all I have to do is loosen that, okay?

LARRY
I'm fainting because the- there's...

                           Carol takes Larry's hands and joins them together, fingers interlaced.

CAROL
All right, hold your hands together, hang on.  Now give me a boost, okay?

LARRY
Oh, Jesus!

CAROL
All right, you ready?



                        She puts a foot on Larry's hands.

CAROL
Wait a second!  Wait, wait!

                     CLOSE SHOT on Larry's straining, grimacing facial expression.  He's lifting her up.

LARRY
You've got to cut down on those rich desserts.

CAROL
Oh, wait a minute, now!  Oh, just wait!  Wait, wait!

LARRY
Let's go, my life is passing in front of my eyes.  The worst part of it is, I'm driving a used car.

CAROL
Okay, now you'd think they'd loosen this stupid thing.

 MEDIUM CLOSE SHOT on the ceiling of the elevator car.  Carol is trying to open a trap door above the ceiling lamp.

LARRY
I'm scared.

                    The trap door opens, and Lillian House's torso drops down, hanging from the ceiling, arms floating.

CAROL
Oh my God!

LARRY
Oh my God, it's her!

CAROL
So that's where he hid her.

LARRY
Oh, Jesus.  Claustrophobia and a dead body.  This is a neurotic's jackpot.

                          Suddenly, the lights go off.  The elevator car is now pitch dark.


____________________

{Manhattan Murder Mystery}

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment