Wednesday, February 27, 2019

if I sound strange, don't get alarmed




EXT.  NYC Street - Day

Helen Moss making a phone call from an open booth.

HELEN
Hi, uh, B-24, Messages?  Oh, really?  Audition for what?  Did he say?  Okay, okay.  Wait, hold on.

                      She looks into her purse and takes out small notebook.

HELEN
Let me get a pencil.  Okay.

INT.  Ted's Theater - Day

A young actress is auditioning, reading from a script.  Larry and Carol are there, with Ted and Marcia Fox and Sy and Marilyn.

TED
(to the actress)
Good, that's great.  Thank you, Suzanne.  Thank you.

MARCIA
We'll let you know.  That's Suzanne Raphael, right?

                          Larry Lipton brings in the next actress.

LARRY
This is Helen Moss.

                       Everyone says Hi; the mood is low-key, concentrated.  Ted asks Helen if she has had a chance to look over the script.

HELEN
Yes, yes.  Uh, I have, but, um, I have just a few questions.



TED
Sure, yeah.

HELEN
Is she divorced, in this?

TED
Uh, yes.  Yes.

HELEN
Uh, recently?

TED
Yes.  Yeah.  But she's, uh, very, highly emotional.

HELEN
Yeah.


TED
You know really... uh, lot of... Lot of feeling.  Very strong.

HELEN
Okay.  Should I just begin?

TED
Yeah, just...  Whenever, you know, whenever you feel it.  Whenever you feel into it.

                                 Helen takes a couple of breaths, dials a phone that's next to her on the stage, and speaks into it.

HELEN
Hello, Joe?  I-I was just...  I...

TED
Uh, let me stop you right there.

                           Helen stops reading, and looks at Ted.

TED
I'm sorry, I... uh, if you'll be... if you'll start out more frightened -- then that'll take you where you're gonna go.

HELEN
Right, right.

                          She breathes deeply and concentrates, before starting again.

HELEN
Hello, Joe?  I can't talk much, now, and if I sound strange, don't get alarmed.




_________________________

{Manhattan Murder Mystery}

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment