Friday, March 22, 2019

we can walk to the curb from here




EXT.  N.Y. street - Day

Ted (Alan Alda) and Marcia Fox (Anjelica Huston) walking, talking.

TED
What do you -- what do you... I want, I want to celebrate, or something.  What do you wanna do?  You wanna -- want to go see what, uh, what Larry and Carol are up to?

MARCIA
I think they want to be alone.

TED
Oh, yeah.  Okay.  All right.  Uh, well -- you have any plans?

MARCIA
You're taking me to dinner, right?

TED
Yeah, right.  Absolutely.  Only we can't sleep together.

MARCIA
Why not?

TED
Not... not tonight.

MARCIA
Why not?

TED
Well, I already slept with Helen Moss once today, and I'm not young and active like I used to be.

MARCIA
You'll do anything to catch a murderer, won't you?




EXT.  Another New York street - Day

The pavement is wet from a recent rain.  Carol and Larry come around a corner, and walk toward CAMERA.

LARRY
What an experience.

CAROL
Oh, really.

LARRY
I'm... I'm still vibrating.

CAROL
I know.

LARRY
Incredible.

CAROL 
(turning to look at him, seriously)
You know, Larry, you were surprisingly brave.

LARRY
What do you  mean surprisingly?

CAROL
Yeah.

LARRY
You seem shocked.

CAROL
Well...

LARRY
You know, I'm a pretty good guy, you know.




Related image

CAROL
Well, you know... Yeah, I know, uh...

LARRY
Where do you want to go for dinner tonight?

CAROL
(laughing)
I don't know.

LARRY
I... What are you laughing at?

CAROL
You know, Larry, I love you.  I love you.

LARRY
How could you have ever been jealous of Marcia?  Isn't that ridiculous?  Don't you know that I could only love you?

CAROL
You were jealous of Ted.

LARRY
Ted?

CAROL
Yeah. 

LARRY
You've got to be kidding.  Take away his - his elevator shoes, and his fake suntan and his capped teeth... and what do you have?

CAROL
You!



                  Larry laughs, and Carol laughs with him.  In a state of high merriment, they enter the door of their apartment building, reflections of them showing in the glass.

LARRY
(as Carol enters ahead of him)
Right!  I love that.

                 He looks back over his shoulder, facing the CAMERA / audience and grimaces -- like he is sort of laughing along with her, but also going, "Grrrrgh!  She got me again!"...

THE END

CREDITS ROLL

_________________________________

{Manhattan Murder Mystery.  1993.  Director:  Woody Allen.  Screenplay written by Woody Allen and Marshall Brickman.  Starring Alan Alda, Woody Allen, Anjelica Huston, Diane Keaton.  
Produced by Robert Greenhut.  Cinematography:  Carlo Di Palma.}

Related image



-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment