Wednesday, September 11, 2019

slow news day in Petrograd






I was thinking about three words:

staunch

tout

bolster.

----------------------------------

These three words, we hardly ever see them in print and we hardly ever say them, or hear others say them -- unless we're listening to news about politicians.



When I listen to commentary on You Tube sometimes, I notice in talking about politicians and their activities and quotes and speeches, people use the words "tout" and "bolster."  And when referring to a politician or voter, they will sometimes be described as "staunch."

"a staunch Republican"



"a staunch Democrat"
"a staunch supporter"

And it's the politicians themselves who are described sometimes as "touting" or "bolstering" things.

These are not commonly used words:  I mean, if someone at your work said, "Come on in my office, I want to bolster something," you'd be like, "Excuse me?"

For "tout" it's --
"he touted his accomplishments in the area of local economic development"...

"Bolster" --
"they attempted to bolster support by promising jobs"
bolster:  sustain; strengthen; prop up


U.S. Senator John F. Kennedy, bolstering his support among West Virginia voters

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment