Saturday, February 22, 2020

all those crazy nights


----------------------- [excerpt, Fear And Loathing:  On The Campaign Trail '72, by Hunter S. Thompson] ------------------------------------------- 
HST:  Shortly after six... Central Time.  So that was what... five o'clock Eastern Time... No seven Eastern Time, excuse me... and four California time...  It was really all over by then.  By 6:30 there wasn't a person at the Holiday Inn who didn't know what had happened.  There was never any question of winning, but the shock set in when people began to sense the dimensions of it, how bad it was...  


And the tip-off there was... I'm not sure... but... first it was when Ohio went down ... no, Ilinois... that's right, it was Illinois... When Illinois went by 11 points you could almost feel the shudder that went through the place because Illinois was where they had Gene Pokorny, their best organizer.  

He was a real wizard.  

He's the one who did the Wisconsin primary.  And Illinois was the key state so they put their best person in.  They had to have Illinois.  If the election had been close Illinois would have been critical, and with Daley coming around there was at least a possibility that Illinois would go for McGovern.  But if Pokorny couldn't carry Illinois -- when it went down by 11 points, a feeling of shock and doom came over the whole place.  

Nobody talked.

__________________________________

All those crazy nights
When I cried myself to sleep
Now melodrama never makes me weep -- anymore


'Cause I  haven't got time for the pain

I haven't got room for the pain

I haven't the need for the pain

Not since I've known you


You -- showed me how --
How to leave myself behind
How to turn down the noise in my mind --

Now - I - haven't got time for the pain
I haven't got room for the pain
I haven't the need for the pain...

----------------------------- On You Tube, type in 

Haven't Got Time For the Pain

-- Carly Simon -- a video with good sound and the complete song is the one featuring a picture of her Hotcakes album cover -- it's light white, and Carly is in the right-hand part of the photograph, as you're looking at it -- she's sitting on a chair, wearing a long white dress.

PLAY! - and when the instrumental part at the end keeps going, not fading right away, don't turn it off yet, listen to that part, because it sounds great.  They've got -- cellos and strings, or something, I don't know... It's good.

-------------------------------------
{"Haven't Got Time for the Pain" - written by Carly Simon and Jacob Brackman}

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment