Monday, February 17, 2020

I'm no prophet


We -- can never know - about the days to come --

But we think about them anyway...

And I wonder - if I'm really -- with you now,
Or just chasing -- after -- -- some -- finer day...

An - ti - ci - pa - tion, Anticipa - ay - tion,
Is making me late
It's keeping me way - ay - ay - ay - ay - ay-ting...


And I tell you - how easy it is - to be with you
And how right your arms feel, around me.

But I - rehearsed those words just late-last-night,
When I was thinkin' about how right tonight might be - 

Anticipation, Anticipation
Is making me late
Is keeping me waiting...

And tomorrow - we might not be - together
I'm no prophet, and I don't know nature's way -
But I'll try - to see into your - eyes right now,
And stay right here
'Cause these are the good old days!

These are the good old days!
And stay right here - 
'Cause these are the good old days...

_______________________________________

On You Tube, type in

Anticipation, Carly Simon

Select the video that has the cover of the album, Anticipation.  It's a black-and-white photo (or -- gray-and-white), Carly Simon standing holding open big iron gates, wearing a sheer skirt, a top with drapey sleeves, and boots.

     And Play.

___________________________________

---------------------- [excerpt, Hunter S. Thompson, Fear And Loathing:  On The Campaign Trail '72] ---------------------------------------------- Some of the scenes in this twisted saga will not make much sense to anybody except the people who were involved in them.  

Politics has its own language, which is often so complex that it borders on being a code, and the main trick in political journalism is learning how to translate -- to make sense of the partisan bullshit that even your friends will lay on you -- without crippling your access to the kind of information that allows you to keep functioning.  

Covering a presidential campaign is not a hell of a lot different from getting a long-term assignment to cover a newly elected district attorney who made a campaign promise to "crack down on Organized Crime."  

In both cases, you find unexpected friends on both sides, and in order to protect them -- and to keep them as sources of private information -- you wind up knowing a lot of things you can't print, or which you can only say without even hinting at where they came from.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment