Wednesday, May 20, 2020

say hey



Famous Baseball paintings

Reader Comments on the New York Times' Willie Mays article, continued...
-----------------------------------------

Greg Hart
Tucson, Arizona
As a young boy growing up in the San Francisco Bay Area, I watched and listened to Willie Mays playing baseball every chance I got.  

I imitated his stance, his style, only wore his number 24 if I could choose, and perfected (in my own mind) the basket catch.  

He opened up a place of joy, possibility and thrill within me that still exists six decades later.  Say hey, Willie!

Even Today, Willie Mays Remains a Giant in Baseball History | At ...

Doctor Woo
Orange, New Jersey
When I was a kid all my friends were Mantle & Yankee fans.  Not me .. Willie Mays was tops for me.  Ruth was the greatest ever.  But Mays was the best ballplayer.  Ted Williams said so too, and he would know.  

Speculation is always tricky esp with Baseball.  

But had he not played in Candlestick he would have almost certainly hit over 700 homers.  It is very true about the wind at that Park.  I went there once later on & saw McCovey hit a shot that was well on its way out.  But it stopped dead high in the air and came straight down.  

Willie Mays always seemed to be having fun when playing, and always had that great smile.


Fact Finder
Flagstaff, Arizona
When I was a kid, my family spent a week at the Nevele in the Catskills.  Willie Mays was there one afternoon to sign autographs and shake hands.  I got both, an autograph and a handshake.  

I still have the first and did not wash the second until the next day.  This was the closest I have ever come to greatness.  I will always remember his kindness and grace.

Willie Mays' new book details desire to convey life lessons ...

Bay Area 101
Midwest
I walked with a friend to Mr. Mays' home one afternoon in the early 1960s.  We simply wanted to wish Mr. Mays luck in a game starting in a few hours.  Mr. Mays answered his door, and he thanked us for coming.  Pure class, and gratefully remembered by this fan of the era.


Paul Cado
Yukon, Canada
...He was always a class act and wonderful to watch.

Don
Bainbridge Island, Washington
I was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, so Willie was one of the 'enemy'.  But even then, against the grain of my devotion to my team, I could appreciate what a wonderful player he was.  

I was unaware that the Red Sox passed on him, but sadly it does not surprise me.  

He's become as outstanding an ambassador for the game's brighter side as he was a player.  I am putting that book on my list.



Steven
Hana, Hawaii
Great article.  When I was 8 my dad took me to see the Giants play the Dodgers at Candlestick, on September 9, 1961 - my first baseball game ever.  The Giants beat the Dodgers 9 to 6; Mays went 4 for 5, including 3 RBI's and a home run.  I remain convinced that Willie Mays was the best player to ever play the game of baseball.


James Destiche
Los Angeles
My favorite all time player.  Stayed up all night when I was a kid and read his life story.  Remember his famous basket catch?  I do.

mrpotatoheadnot
New York
of course we remember the catch. we catch that way ever since.

B. Rupic
Nara / Greensville
I can remember Mays being criticized for showboating--as in fundamentals.  also kids being told not to copy him.


Painting : "The Stick" (Original art by CHRISTOPHER ROCHE)


Ken Rabin
Warsaw
I just sent this to my kids.  Great Photo.  When I played Little League and Pony League my fielder's glove was a Wilson Willie Mays signature model.  The catch he made off Vic Wertz at the Polo Grounds in the '54 World Series is a black and white TV clip I can always replay in my mind's eye.


Mike in New Mexico
Angel Fire, NM
I was a kid in Cleveland during the 1954 World Series.  The Indians were favored... until that incredible catch by Willie Mays of a 450 ft drive by Vic Wertz.  This play broke the back of the Indians, to my dismay, and the Giants went on to win all four games.

Dusty Rhodes pinch hit home run in 1954 World Series - Baseball ...

JohnA
Bar Harbor, Maine
I have been to ONE professional baseball game in my life.  I got to see Willie Mays play for San Francisco in Candlestick Park.  Who could ever need to see another game??  Bless you Mr. Mays, you were and are a wonder!

McLibby
Stonington, Connecticut & Isle of Coll, UK
When I was four, in 1954, my father was watching the New York Giants play on TV, and I was watching too.  Willy Mays came up to bat.  "Say 'hit a home run, Willy,'" my father said.  I did and he did.  He's been my favorite baseball player ever since.


Aristotle
SOCAL
Loved him as a player, though never when he batted against my then-favorite team.  Still, I give a slight edge of "Hammerin" Hank Aaron as far as being the greatest player alive today.  Inconsequential though it may be.


Jean Marque
Paris
Those were the days.  Say Hey!


Jim 
Incline Village, Nevada
I grew up in the early 60s near LA, in awe of Sandy, Don, Ron, Maury, Tommy, Willie, Jimmy, Jeff and Junior. ...I miss the Polo Grounds and Ebbets.  

Ebbets Field - history, photos and more of the Brooklyn Dodgers ...

But Willie Mays was ALWAYS my hero.  

He transcended so many things - and still does today.  

People do not understand how important he was to the game.  And life.


Donald Seberger
Libertyville, Illinois
For my money, Say Hey Willie Mays is the greatest and purest baseball player of all time.  I was lucky enough to see him play in Wrigley field several times.  He did it all.  He hit for average and power, ran the bases with speed and daring, and was grace in motion in centerfield.  

He played with a rare combination of swagger, unmatched skill, respect for fundamentals, intelligence, and pure joy.  Happy Birthday Willie and thank you for so many childhood memories.


This Dog Watching Baseball In A Baby Carrier Is Living Its Best Life


Dog Interrupts MLB Baseball Game, Gets Rewarded With A Ball And A ...

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment