Friday, May 15, 2020

the man was clutch


Willie Mays at 89: 'My Thing Is Keep Talking and Keep Moving ...


     An article two days ago, in the New York Times, was headlined --

Willie Mays at 89:  'My Thing Is Keep Talking and Keep Moving'


     There's a book coming out, 

24:  Life Stories and Lessons From the Say Hey Kid.


_______________________________

     When people start talking (or writing) about baseball, I don't always know everything they're talking about -- they have their own jargon and expertise / enthusiasm....

     Anyway, the Reader Comments under the article were fun, I thought.

______________________
Bill B.
New York
Willie makes you smile period the end.


Fredtea
East Aurora
SayHey Kid

Fredtea
East Aurora
SayHey Willie

Mays hits his 512th career HR to break Ott's NL record | Baseball ...

Tom Boyd
Illinois
I saw Willie Mays play my beloved Cardinals in St. Louis on a Sunday afternoon.  He came to bat and hit a liner in the gap and flew around the bases for a triple, losing his hat between 2nd and third.  Exciting?  Yessiree!

FerCry'n Tears
EVERYWHERE
Yes the hat flying!  Such a great act with his too big hat.  Thanks for the reminder, Nice!


M2
Oregon Territory
I grew up in the Bay Area, a rabid Willie Mays fan.  I have a lifetime of great memories from Willie and the Giants.  One salient thing about Willie that you won't find in the record books:  the man was clutch.  

In the biggest moments of the game or the season, when the lights were brightest, Willie delivered.  If there were two outs in the bottom of the ninth and the Giants needed three runs, Willie would somehow come through.  The man was money in the bank.

Leroy Neiman Willie Mays painting - Willie Mays print for sale

Alan
Tampa
The "say hey kid."  I was a NY Giants fan, the only one on my block, and remember when Leo Durocher & Giants management brought Willie up from the minors.

I think it was 1950 and he was 19 years old.  He made an immediate impact and was a great, perhaps the greatest ballplayer of the modern era.  He could hit, run and throw and was an inspiration to his teammates.

The Giants went from mediocrity to champs.

I saw him play in the Polo Grounds a number of times.  The excitement was unbelievable when they played the hated Dodgers, led by Pee Wee, Jackie and the Duke.

When the Stonehams moved the team from the city to California, it ripped the hearts out of fans like me.

I haven't followed baseball much since then and don't root for any team.

Baseball was king during those times.

Candlestick Park, c. 1967, a watercolor painting by Dong Kingman ...

Peter R.
Cresskill, New Jersey
Deep fond memories of mid-60s backyard wiffle ball games against my older brother.  The "Say Hey Kid" and "Stretch" McCovey were always coming to bat and knocking the ball into the neighbor's backyard.  We approved, the neighbor did not.


M Harvey
Florida
The "Say Hey" kid.  What a ballplayer!  I was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, but we all knew he was the greatest.  Hit the ball Willie!

Robert Roth
NYC
Mickey Mantle described what he thought was the difference between him and Willie Mays.  He said if a ground ball was coming at him in center field he would wait for it to get to him.  He was afraid of it rolling through his legs.  But Mays would run towards it with total abandon hoping/expecting to make a play.


e pluribus unum
front and center
Shook his hand once when he visited  my elementary school in the 70's.  And yes, it's fact, I didn't wash my hand for a week.


ExileFromNewJersey
Maricopa County, Arizona
Got to see Willie Mays in Connie Mack Stadium sometime in the mid 60's, he created action I remember that.  Stay Safe Willie Mays!

mk
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
There was nothing better as a kid watching Willie at batting practice at Connie Mack Stadium in Philly and then watching him play the game for keeps against the Phils.  I could never root against him.  He was pure joy in flannel.

BLUE AND RED FLOWERS — Palette knife Oil Painting on Canvas by ...

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment