Wednesday, November 11, 2020

devil's got meow

 


"Heaven's Just a Sin Away" is a great song.  Now that there's You Tube, I listen to it whenever I want.


Some people who are more straitlaced might say, "it's a cheating song!" and label it as immoral.


But I just like the way it sounds.  And it's an accurate expression of thoughts and emotions that some people might have, some-times.  Temptation.  ("Lead us not into temptation"...) Art expresses situations, emotions, and stories.

     As Tina Turner has remarked, The main point is not necessarily what the lyrics tell us, but rather "the feeling that a song gives."


The Kendalls' recording begins with such a powerful downbeat:  so inviting.  The lead singer's vocal style is pure Nashville, her expression precise and strong.  Her oh-whoas have about five syllables, instead of two.  The song is like a little bouncy, saily boat, up in the clouds.


Devil's got me now,

Oh-whoa, gone and got me now

I can't fight him anyhow

I think he's gonna win

Heaven's just a sin away...


I have this recollection from back in the past:  late afternoon in a bar, sitting at a table with a man and a woman.  She got up, went over to the jukebox, and played this song.  I remember thinking what a great song it was, at the time.


Now--I'm kind of like, "OK, wait a minute..."  Both of these people were married--to other people.


Me, four hundred decades later:

"Was that some kind of subliminal suggestion, from her to him?!"


     And..."Why the hell was I there??"  LOL.

...To make it look like the two of them were not meeting each other?  For it to appear like casual socializing?


I was a college student at the time.  Casual socializing--"hanging out"--was a natural state-of-being in that era.

     Yes, I was in school.  But did I forget to take a course in Common Sense 101??  LOL.


     ...I was a kid, and they were grown-ups, and I just didn't have a very suspicious mind.


We're caught in a trap

I can't walk out...


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment