Thursday, November 12, 2020

magnetting recipes to the refrigerator

 


Back in the '80s, I played records at a Country Club event one time--when I put "Heaven's Just A Sin Away" on the turntable and put needle to vinyl, people got up to dance immediately when they heard the first couple bars of the song.  I noticed that.


The recording I was using then was of course the one by The Kendalls--a few years after, in the early '90s, a country artist named Kelly Willis covered the song:  her version had more of a bluegrass basis, referencing older country styles which were being brought back front and center at the time by Dwight Yoakam, among others.


I loved that version of the song, too.  It played from a cassette in my blue Ford Tempo on drives to and from our state capital.  With a fiddle playing a tricky sort of shimmy between some of the lines of the song, its raw, edgy instrumentals I am guessing may be the "five-string" or "open tuning" guitar style Keith Richards described in his book, Life.


(Ike Turner grabs Keith and drags him into a room:

"Show me that five-string shit!")


On You Tube, you can hear the Kelly Willis version of "Heaven's Just A Sin Away."  The video uploaded by Carina Svedberg has very good sound.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment