Friday, January 22, 2021

when Saturday rolls around...

 


Sherrod Brown, Donald Trump


I don't know how I found this one video on You Tube--or maybe it found me--the title is:

Jim Zirin - How Does Sherrod Brown Do It?

uploader:  JimZirinTV


It's an interesting interview (26 minutes) with U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown from Ohio.  He discusses the dignity of work, and he has a book out called Desk 88.


Mr. Zirin asks the senator if he wants to run for president; Brown says no.  He says he has never had a great need to imagine himself in that position--he says, "I'm happy in the Senate."


That reminded me of the time when I was sitting on a bench in the hallway of our state capitol, and all these state senators were passing in a sort of "wave," because their caucus had just ended.  

     I asked the power-and-light utility lobbyist who was sitting there, if he thought a particular new senator who was "making his mark" might run for governor someday.


He answered me, beginning by saying my first name very distinctly, as if to make sure I was listening closely, and then added--"...all of these bozos want to be governor."


     If I had asked him about the U.S. Senate and how many of those fine gentlemen (and ladies) might run for president, he might have answered similarly.  But he would not be able to include Senator Brown from Ohio in that.

(And since Brown has made that clear, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez won't need to tell him off like she did Hawley and Cruz!--"Let me give you a sneak peek"--lol....)

____________________________________

------------------------ [excerpt from Desk 88] -------------- Almost two decades ago, I addressed a Workers Memorial Day rally in Lorain, Ohio.  I stood in front of a fifty-foot-high pile of black iron-ore pellets where the Black River empties into Lake Erie.  


After the event, the steelworker Dominic Cataldo handed me a lapel pin depicting a canary in a birdcage.  "This pin," he told me proudly, "symbolizes our decades-long fight for worker safety."  


Ever since, I've worn my canary pin to honor the millions of Americans who have fought for traditional American values, and to celebrate the dignity of work....


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment