Tuesday, May 18, 2021

he liked to throw the bull, and he was no matador

 


The 1972 television concert, "Liza with a Z," is on You Tube.  Watch it before they take it down.


I had never seen it, but yet I knew it by heart, almost, because I had the record album when I was a freshman in high school and I played it many times.


Liza's energy, expressiveness, and audience rapport made me think of Tina Turner.


...And so she borrowed a thou' and called TWA

And told her mother and dad that she was up and away

I'm gonna travel the continent, a month, maybe two

And haul me home a hus' if it's the last thing I do


You gotta ring them bells, you got to ring them bells

You gotta make 'em sing and really ring them bells

It's such a happy thing, to hear 'em ting-a-ling

You gotta ring them bells


She met a Londoner first, but they did not hit it off

'Cause every time she approached he got a bronchial cough

And so she went to Madrid and met a handsome señor,

But he liked to throw the bull and he was no matador


She also bombed out in Brussels, in Mallorca and Rome

'Til someone said, "Try Dubrovnik, dear, before you go home"

'Cause it's the kind of a town -- where you'll be likely to fall

And all the tony cognoscenti find the Balkans a ball...


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment