Friday, May 21, 2021

well you can tell by the way I use my walk

 

Halston


I got the idea to type in "Liza with a Z" and see if I could see clips from this 1972 concert, when watching "Halston" -- a new show on Netflix.  It's the story of Roy Halston Frowick, who grew up in Indiana and came to New York in the 1950s and became a successful and well-known designer.


He created the pillbox hat for Jackie Kennedy to wear to the 1961 Inauguration.


Later, in the 1970s, he was friends with Liza Minnelli.  I was surprised, in Halston, when somebody gets up there playing Liza Minnelli, and starts singing.  Singing the song, "Liza with a Z" -- I thought, uh-oh, no one can do that except actual Liza:  but the actress Krysta Rodriguez pulled it off with a natural panache.


I think everyone watching was wowed.


(Whenever I consider these 1970s icons, words like "wowed" start coming out...)


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment