Thursday, May 6, 2021

tell me all your secrets

 


"Mad About You" was such a good show, at first.  But then it kind of switched, wandered, and then started going in circles....


Why does that happen to some shows?  My thought is, probably they get different directors, writers, producers...something is different, they bring in new people, and those people do not have the same sensibility as the original people in those jobs.  And then the show is different--it isn't as good, doesn't have the comedy-drama tone that viewers connected with--and after a while, they're just throwing stuff in....

     Something happened to the very popular "Game Of Thrones" show (which I have not seen).


[some online GOT comments]

-------------------- The showrunners Weiss and Benioff had both hinted that GOT was an all consuming task and they had spent 6-7 years of their lives fully immersed in the show and had wanted to wrap up the show quickly so they could get their lives back--hence the truncated last 2 seasons.  

The lack of the regular 10 hr seasons really impacted the ability to flesh out the nuances of the character motivations and just came across as extremely rushed.  

However watching the last season again, I am struck by the fact that we are unlikely to see another TV show with the scope, sets and acting that GOT provided.  

Amazon and other streaming services are throwing $$$$ at trying to replicate the next GOT.  I am rather dubious that they will be successful.


--------------- The problem most studios face is that once they have a hit they want to prolong that hit despite the fact that it's a hit because -- it has a clear beginning middle and end.  They always extend the middle until they realise people are getting bored and then end it by which time everyone hates it.


------------------ Strange women flying on dragons distributing death is no basis for a system of government.

____________________________

"Mad About You"

I don't discuss the recent reboot; it doesn't exist, for me.

The actual network-TV series went for seven seasons:

1992 - 1999.


The first three seasons were good.

     I loved that show right away when I found it.  Their dog, Murray!...I adored the way their NYC apartment was arranged and decorated; I thought the clothes were fantastic--I bought a vest to wear with skirt-and-blouse ensemble, because I liked a vest I saw on "Mad About You."

___________________________________________

Jamie's sister Lisa:  "That's how I live!  I leap!"

Jamie:  "Yeah, while I'm running all over town with a net!"


Lisa:  "Who's Annette?"


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment