Tuesday, December 13, 2022

in the middle of all that success

 


I really like Jerry Hall's book.

I can't stop discussing it.

I really like it.

Why?

I don't know, for sure.

        When I read a passage in it (and look at the photographs), it's like a trip around the world.


--------------------------- I really like it when she has a series of pages where, on each page, there will be a description of a photographer and her time working with him -- like the guy who photographed her in the museum in France.  And a picture.


November 29 -- Richard Avedon, with his moving feast of light

December 2 -- Horst!

December 6 -- Gunter Sachs

December 7 -- Hiro

December 8 -- Bill King


------------------- [excerpt from the book] --------------- It was a lot of fun being on tour -- travelling with the boys, sharing their after-show tales and jokes, sitting in the private plane after a successful show, feeling a common bond.  

It was like being part of a big family.  


But it was also hard work; all the travelling was physically and mentally exhausting.  And the groupies were really irritating.  

        Girls would sneak into the hotels and get backstage and throw themselves at the band.  I had to watch out for them -- they were ruthless and would do anything to get noticed!  Often they would have sex with the security men just to get backstage passes.



        By 1979 Mick and I had settled into New York living.  We rented a lovely home and had great friends, but Mick wasn't touring and had too much time on his hands.  He started going out a lot without me.  He would say he had a meeting and then call to say it was running late.  

He had been linked with several girls in the gossip columns, but he denied it all, of course.


        During this time I modelled for the big American designers such as Bill Blass and Oscar de La Renta.  Oscar took me on trips to do fashion shows all over America and a couple of times to Japan.  

Being in the middle of all that success was like being in the eye of the storm.  


The phone rang constantly, as did the doorbell.  I always had to answer it because Mick wouldn't -- he was usually watching cricket on TV.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment