Monday, July 31, 2023

between college and marriage

 

Jacqueline Bouvier at George Washington University


I got to thinking about my blog - and thought, recently I was discussing the book Camera Girl here, and maybe I didn't really start at the beginning with that, I just jumped right in.

        It occurred to me some readers might wonder, "Why is this blog calling the First Lady of the United States (1961 - 1963) a "Camera Girl"?


Jacqueline Bouvier worked at the Washington Times-Herald newspaper, 1951 - 1953.  She was assigned to do a column titled Inquiring Camera Girl -- she did random "man-on-the-street" interviews, asking a human-interest style question for the person to give their opinion on, and taking their photograph for the paper.

        That's where the "camera girl" label came from.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment