Friday, July 14, 2023

"secondhand emotion"

 


When I read autobiographical books written by my favorite rock-and-roll singers--Tina Turner, Keith Richards, Bob Dylan--I am kind of subconsciously fascinated / comforted into a feeling, or belief, that if I like someone's music, I am going to like the person who makes it, and whatever else they write.


Dylan's Chronicles; I, Tina; and Keith Richards' Life are books I go back to and reread and appreciate passages and chapters.  And I "like" these people--as much as I know from the books, their music, and interviews and documentaries, never met them of course....


But I realize now that it's extra lucky to be able to enjoy the person and what they have to say outside of their art, because with some artists it's harder to do that.


I was looking up a book of writings by another rock singer of the '60s, and reading what was available of it on Amazon, I found out--yeah, no, I don't like this.  And I was surprised because I love his songs with the band.  Realized, then, well of course not all people who make music that I love are going to be people I would relate to outside of that.

        The music was one thing--this guy made that with the band.  It was a group effort.  Then a book of his other writing is published, and I look into it and say, "oooh, this guy's just trying to be disgusting and get us all sad and grossed out!" - lol


Some writing, you read it for a little bit and you realize ok the way this writer is trying to make the audience feel an emotion is by telling them something really sad, or pathetic, or describing cruelty, and you feel like they just over-do it, and you don't want to get depressed or be horrified, thanks anyway.


Some commenters were saying the songwriter was meant to be a poet, and the poems in the book are proof that was his true path.







The songs are what I like.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment