Friday, October 6, 2023

playin' soft while Bobby sang the blues

 



Above is a painting of a scene in Port Arthur, Texas, which is the home town of rock-and-roll singer Janis Joplin.


I had a misty memory in my mind that I was in 5th grade in Rootstown, Ohio, when I heard that Janis Joplin had died.  But when I see the date, I realize I was in 6th grade.  Close.  And the memory includes a little small grocery story -- a convenience store, maybe -- called Lawson's (I think).  It was within walking distance of our house on State Route 44.  

I went there sometimes, to buy comic books or a peppermint patty, or the ubiquitous and ongoing "milk-and-bread" for my mother.

Maybe I saw the Janis Joplin headline on a magazine or newspaper.

I remember my dad mentioned her passing, as well.

On You Tube I've seen a Janis interview on The Dick Cavett Show -- I would guess that's where my father would have seen her - or he could have read about her in TIME or Newsweek magazine.  

I was left with the impression that you should never take drugs because if you did, you might die.  

At that time I did not know her music, but I knew her name.


She was 27 years old when she passed, same age as Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix.

Janis Joplin       January 19, 1943 - October 4, 1970

Jim Morrison (The Doors)       December 8, 1943 - July 3, 1971

Jimi Hendrix        November 27, 1942 - September 18, 1970.


Some people call it "The 27 Club" -- musicians who died at that age. Others are

Brian Jones (founder of The Rolling Stones)

Kurt Cobain  (Nirvana)

Amy Winehouse

...and there are more - if you Google it.


I don't really like the expression "27 Club" - it seems disrespectful, but maybe people don't mean it that way.

        I like to just appreciate the music they brought to us.  Amazing artistic spirits.

------------------------------------


On You Tube, type in

Me and Bobby McGee, Janis Joplin

and play / enjoy.





-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment