Monday, October 23, 2023

stories that come from the soil

 


There's an actor who, sometimes when I come across him in a TV-movie on You Tube, I Google him to see when he passed on, but he didn't - he's still alive!


I don't know why I think that.  Somehow memories got mixed in my mind and I imagine that he has died, but he has not.  (I don't type his name here, don't want to create any "bad vibes.")


It's just weird.  I think maybe what happened was, he had a series in the '90s and it got taken off the air after only one season, or half a season, & my memory mistakenly turned it into - the actor died, when really it was only the show that did not continue on.

________________________________


Reading the book Writing Tools, by Roy Peter Clark - he quotes a passage from Dakota, by Kathleen Norris:

------------------- Like many who have written about Dakota, I'm invigorated by the harsh beauty of the land and feel a need to tell the stories that come from its soil. ... ----------------


        The stories come from the soil - ?

This reminded me of the 2013 Greg Camalier film, Muscle Shoals.  In this documentary, music producer Rick Hall and some of the other interviewees touch on the idea that music exists in the area of the Muscle Shoals studio - Sheffield, Alabama, and Florence.  Like the music is there - in the water, and the trees, and the air.


        I wasn't sure I understood the idea, but I liked hearing them talk about it.



"Muscle Shoals Singing Waters"

painting by Meryl Goudey


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment