Tuesday, December 26, 2023

a few words in the right key

 


---------------- [excerpt from The Great Gatsby] -------------------- I had been actually invited.  A chauffeur in a uniform of robin's-egg blue crossed my lawn early that Saturday morning with a surprisingly formal note from his employer:  the honor would be entirely Gatsby's, it said, if I would attend his "little party" that night.  He had seen me several times, and had intended to call on me long before, but a peculiar combination of circumstances had prevented it - signed Jay Gatsby, in a majestic hand.


Dressed up in white flannels I went over to his lawn a little after seven, and wandered around rather ill at ease among swirls and eddies of people I didn't know - though here and there was a face I had noticed on the commuting train.  

I was immediately struck by the number of young Englishmen dotted about; all well dressed, all looking a little hungry, and all talking in low, earnest voices to solid and prosperous Americans.  I was sure that they were selling something:  bonds or insurance or automobiles.  They were at least agonizingly aware of the easy money in the vicinity and convinced that it was theirs for a few words in the right key.



As soon as I arrived I made an attempt to find my host, but the two or three people of whom I asked his whereabouts stared at me in such an amazed way, and denied so vehemently any knowledge of his movements, that I slunk off in the direction of the cocktail table - the only place in the garden where a single man could linger without looking purposeless and alone.


I was on my way to get roaring drunk from sheer embarrassment when Jordan Baker came out of the house and stood at the head of the marble steps, leaning a little backward and looking with contemptuous interest down into the garden.

-------------------------------------------

{The Great Gatsby.  F. Scott Fitzgerald.  Scribner's - 1925}




-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment