Tuesday, December 19, 2023

"Mozart and Bach, the Beatles, and me"

 


The passing of American actor Ryan O'Neal brought my attention to the 1970 movie Love Story, and I thought I might like to watch it now, since I did not see it at the time.


It's fifteen dollars to stream on Amazon, if you buy it, 4 dollars to rent it.


The problem with renting is, after I see a movie I may want to buy it so I can watch it anytime and then that makes it nineteen dollars - 4 for one-time rental, plus 15 to own.


I can skip the rental and just pay 15.


But - considering budget etc., and two other O'Neal pictures (Paper Moon and What's Up, Doc? are available to stream for free, right now, with Amazon Prime, I decided to be happy with that.


Apparently, from what I have read, there's a scene where O'Neal's character, Oliver, plays hockey with Harvard's team and he gets in trouble for fighting.  (This would kind of mirror some of Ryan O'Neal's real-life exploits....)


It made me remember something I don't think about that often - during my freshman year at Boston University, the guy I was dating took me to see a hockey game between B.U. and Harvard. - At the Boston Garden - where, a year later, I would see Bob Dylan perform onstage for the first time.


        I remember being really shocked, and taken aback when a fight broke out.  (At the hockey game, not the Dylan concert...)  I just wasn't expecting that at all.  

I thought our B.U. players were above brawling - you're supposed to "be a good sport," was what our generation was taught, growing up.  

        And I thought it was even more shocking that Harvard students would engage in the "socking" of players on the opposing team.  I didn't think there was any hitting in hockey.  And I imagined that students at Harvard would be sophisticated and elegant.


The battering did not seem elegant.

_________________________________



-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment