Tuesday, January 9, 2024

just go with it

 


-------------------- [excerpt from Jerry Hall:  My life in pictures] -------------------------


...I was a bit apprehensive...but figured I'd just go with it and hope it worked.

        It did, and though it was one of the most uncomfortable shoots I've ever done, it looked great and the album was a big success.  We travelled back to London the next evening and Bryan invited me to stay in his house until I went back to New York.


        During the couple of days I spent with him, Bryan and I fell for one another.  I was 19 and he was 30 and we both felt we'd found what we were looking for in someone else.  We laughed a lot, talked over wonderful dinners, and promised to stay in touch.


        After I flew back to New York Bryan phoned me every day and I mooned around playing his albums.  I loved his version of John Lennon's Jealous Guy.



        As soon as he could get away, Bryan came to New York to visit me for a few days.  I spent most of the time with him at The Carlyle; the most elegant hotel in New York.  We went to a party that his record company, Atlantic Records, was giving.  

The Manhattan Transfer were playing there and we sat at a table with Ahmet Ertegun, the founder and chairman of Atlantic Records, and Earl McGrath who was vice president of Atlantic.  

        I adored them both and they were so much fun; we laughed all night like old friends, but I noticed that Bryan seemed a little annoyed.  It was the first time I realised that Bryan could be quite a jealous guy himself.  But it didn't seem important at the time, we were young, happy and in love.

---------------------------------------------------


Carlyle Hotel Art


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment