Friday, January 5, 2024

like a fine skylark

 

Jerry Hall, photo by Norman Parkinson


I'm finding inspiration from the words of 

Jerry Hall, 

Taylor Swift,

and

Stevie Nicks.


I read recently that Stevie Nicks, replying to a journalist's question, said:  "I don't give Taylor Swift advice about fame; she doesn't need it."


♫ ♫ ♪

...Got the radio on, my old blue jeans

And I'm wearing my heart on my sleeve

Feeling lucky today, got the sunshine

Could you tell me what more do I need?

And tomorrow's just a mystery, oh yeah

But that's okay...

~ Swift


...Would you stay if she promised you heaven?

Will you ever win?

She is like a cat in the dark

And then she is the darkness

She rules her life like a fine skylark

And when the sky is starless...

~ Nicks

__________________________


----------------- [excerpt from Jerry Hall:  My life in pictures] -------------------


I flew to London to shoot the cover of Bryan Ferry's album Siren in the summer of 1975.  I was looking forward to meeting him - at the time he as at the height of his fame.  I loved his music and thought he had the most beautiful voice, heartbreakingly touching and sexy.  

His band, Roxy Music, wore camp clothes, uniforms and eye-liner.  They'd invented a great look - very art-house, with a mixture of rock and an element of European elegance thrown in.


        ...We had dinner with Anthony Price, a very talented clothes designer who had come up with the concepts for all Roxy Music's album covers and was working on Siren.


        The two of them were both witty and charming and made me laugh.  I was excited about the photos and Bryan seemed shy and gorgeous.  He was incredibly classy and beautifully dressed and his black hair was slicked back, with just one lock that fell forwards over his eye.  I was dazzled by his glamour.


        That evening Bryan dropped me back at my hotel and the next morning he came to collect me for our trip to do the shoot in Wales.  Anthony came with us and on the way they explained that I would be dressed as a siren, from Greek mythology, and painted blue all over.  I was a bit apprehensive about that, but figured I'd just go with it and hope it worked.

__________________________

{song lyrics from "A Place in This World" by Taylor Swift, and "Rhiannon" by Stevie Nicks}



-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment