Tuesday, November 13, 2018

trump obamas me




I have read my serious news story for the day.  (Serious news story = no celebrities getting engaged; no celebrities wearing bathing suits; no really big snakes -- those are Sensationalist Stories, not News Stories.)

We have to be aware of our surroundings, these days.

We have to keep up.

We can't let them suck us in with clickbait.


_______________________________

     Trump "Obama-ed" me last week -- I tuned in to a press conference by Trump, and heard mostly about Obama.  Or -- not really "about" Obama so much as -- Pres. Obama's name was invoked a lot.



     I got to thinking -- maybe when Barack Obama was elected president in 2008, Donald Trump was sort of traumatized psychologically because of Obama's -- age.

     Hear me out:  all our lives, when we are children, the grown-ups are in charge.  The grown-ups are people who are way out of our age bracket -- much "older" than us, who can drive and decide things and vote and go shopping....

Parents; teachers; presidents.





They're in "another world," older than we are, responsible for things, in charge of things.  Then one day the first president gets elected who is younger than we are, and it's a little weird.  

Your place in the world shifts.  Or seems to.  Obama is the first president who's younger than me -- by a couple of years.  And I noticed this, and contemplated it, when he was elected.



     I wonder if Trump was throwing his Kenya-tantrums because Obama is 15 years younger than him, and it freaked him out, made him feel suddenly "old."  Like what we used to call "a mid-life crisis."

     (It's always "Something."  In the '70s it was a midlife crisis; now it's black mold....)


     I researched, to see the age of presidents, compared to Trump, during our current president's adulthood.


Jimmy Carter:  old enough to be Donald Trump's father

Reagan:  old enough to be Trump's grandfather

George H.W. Bush:  old enough to be Trump's father

Bill Clinton:  Trump's contemporary in age



"W" -- Trump's contemporary

Obama:  young enough to be Trump's son -- (if Trump had married in his very early teens...)


     Barack Obama was this younger family man, with a successful political career, slim and fit, well-read, a professor of constitutional law, witty, with personal magnetism and grace.  And then he got elected President.  

Did this cause an existential emotional crisis in Donald Trump's psyche?  

Like:  "This young man is our president -- presidents are supposed to be older than me, or at least my contemporary -- this guy is 15 years younger than me, that means I'm -- over!  Aaaaauuuugggghhhh!!"




----------------------------------

     If I outlined this theory in front of a right-wing audience, they would probably criticize me severely for not being complimentary enough toward President Trump.  They might say, "Trump could never be envious of Obama."  If I asked Why -- what would their answer be?


     If I offered this idea in front of a left-wing audience, they might say, "Trump hates Obama because he's black and you know it!  You're just trying to twist the story around to protect Trump and his -- midday racist séances!"


     Covering for the president, or critiquing him?  Does the difference depend on who we're talking to...?




-30-  

No comments:

Post a Comment