Tuesday, November 27, 2018

come in for a drink




"Hold the elevatorrrrr!"


LILLIAN (voice over)
I'm coming.

                         Inside the elevator, Larry and Carol Lipton wait; Larry puts his hand on the edge of the door to keep it from closing.

PAUL (voice over)
Hold the elevator.



Paul and Lillian enter the elevator.  They are a middle-aged couple.  He is bald and tall, and very smiley.  She is small, with salt-and-pepper hair arranged in a neat bun.

LILLIAN
That's right.

PAUL
Thank you.

                       Lillian has a broad smile when she recognizes Larry and Carol.  The elevator door slides shut.  Lillian looks at Carol.



LILLIAN
I, uh, I see you at the gym sometimes.

CAROL
Oh, you do?

LILLIAN
Yes, we live in the apartment down the hall.

CAROL
Oh, well, I go whenever I have the discipline.

LILLIAN
It's important to put that time in.  It does wonders.

CAROL
Oh, yeah -- I agree with you.

LILLIAN
Exercising changed my life.

CAROL
Well, geez --

LARRY
I prefer to atrophy.  I'm not a very -- exercise person.




PAUL
We bought a treadmill last week.

CAROL
Oh, well, we had one.  But you know, we got rid of it because it was just taking up too much space.

LILLIAN
Oh, it -- it -- umh --

LARRY
Because you have to turn it on and get on it once in a while...

LILLIAN
Hey, I -- exactly, I... and it's so confusing, with all those buttons and computerized programs.  I'm just never gonna get that.


INT.  HALLWAY - NIGHT

Elevator door opens; the two couples exit.  They talk back and forth together.

CAROL
Oh, I know.  It's late.

LILLIAN
It's so wonderful, meeting.

CAROL
Oh, well, yeah.

PAUL
It is just like New York.  You have neighbors.  You never meet them... You guys...



LILLIAN
...I've seen you so many times in the hallway, you know...and I've always wanted to come up and say hello.

PAUL
Well, anyway... good night.

                     Larry and Carol walk away toward their apartment.  

CAROL (voice over)
Good night.  Such a lovely couple.  You know that...

                                    Paul bends down to pick up something on the carpet.  Lillian walks one step back down the hallway.

LILLIAN
Oh, uh, say, hello?

                    Paul starts opening their apartment door, just across the hallway from the elevator.

CAROL (voice over)
Huh?  Yeah?

LILLIAN
Uhm listen -- why don't you come in for a -- a second, and have a drink with us.  I mean, we'd really love that.

                      The camera pans around the corner, to Larry and Carol -- Larry makes a negative sign with his hand.

CAROL
Oh, oh well, that'd be fine...

PAUL (voice over)
She makes great Irish coffee.

                          Muted conversation between Carol and Larry.  Larry doesn't want to accept the invitation, but Carol does want to.

LILLIAN (voice over)
Oh, please?  I -- want you to give me a treadmill lesson.

LARRY
There's a movie on television I want to watch.



                                           Carol starts walking toward Lillian and Paul's apartment, followed reluctantly by Larry.

As they enter the apartment, Carol is speaking to Lillian:  "Oh, about the tread-- oh, well, if I can figure it out, then believe me, anybody can!"

                           She laughs, with the other couple, and Larry gives a forced, polite, social chuckle.





-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment