Thursday, September 24, 2009

NOTEBOOKS

Since I write, I like pens & notebooks; want to share with you today my favorite notebooks and a few details:

in last couple of posts, I was misspelling "Clairefontaine" -- I left out the middle "e" I think.

Clairefontaine notebooks -- don't know all the stores you can buy them in, I get mine from The Daily Planner in NYC, ordering by phone (I send them a money order and they send me the notebooks).
Oh, OK, here' s a description right in the Daily Planner catalog, which I'll publish here -- and evidently you can't get these notebooks anywhere else, it says "exclusively" --

"Imported exclusively from France by The Daily Planner these modern and playful lined notebooks feature dynamic colors, a mix of styles and bold superimpositions. Like all Clairefontaine notebooks, they feature paper made from pulp and wood by-products from forests independently certified by PEFC as sustainably managed. 90 sheets. Available in ..."

------------------------------
And it goes on to list current colors. The colors and patterns change, over time. The covers of these notebooks are textured, the designs both bright and sophisticated. I love writing on the paper because it's so SMOOTH -- the pen just flows. And you can write on both sides of each sheet because the pen doesn't go through.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

With less expensive, locally-purchased notebooks, I don't even think about writing on the back of the sheets. Paper's thin. I decided that's OK, though -- for a change.

In the Notebound, and the Carolina Pad notebooks, I use only the fronts of sheets, and write on every other line, instead of every line. As a result I'm flying through these notebooks -- will have to purchase a "short stack" of them; that's OK too.

Notebound is sort of wide and flat-feeling, to write on, the paper medium-smooth. Not super-smooth like Clairefontaine; that's all right, the pen gets a unique, firm "purchase" on the paper and gives me a different and good feeling when writing.

Carolina Pad regular -- paper smooth enough, and great for Project Journal -- project planning. Rings at left side: DOUBLE rings; excellent.
And Carolina Pad 100% recycled -- has a totally interesting roughness to its pages -- not "roughness" in a bad way, I should call it a healthy, fibrous texture onto which the pen fastens and rolls with your notes & ideas at a pleasantly attentive pace, and with a good feeling.

I think "Carrie Bradshaw" (Sex - City) would write in a Clairefontaine notebook if she were not at her lap-top. Tina Turner also would like Clairefontaine paper -- Tina loves quality!

Carolina -- 100 recycled, I think Henry David Thoreau (Walden Pond guy) would have liked to write in.

Carolina Pad -- regular -- President Barack Obama would like writing in the Carolina Pad / regular notebook because it's pretty plain, middle-of-the-road, and he would probably say to me, in good humor, "You're getting way too into this 'notebook' riff, my friend! Just a plain one for me, will do it!"

And the Notebound notebook. Hmmh. I cannot think of any famous people who might like writing in Notebound, so I'll write in it myself.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment