Friday, September 18, 2009

Project Journal

I've read from several different sources that it's good to keep a "Project Journal" as you're writing a book (or play, screenplay, whatever) -- I tried a Project Journal before I had begun my current novel, but I quit the Journal because it was taking the place of doing the book: daily I would write in the Project Journal, do the Writing Practice, do some Reading & take notes, but put off starting the novel -- (!)

Now I'm on page 267 or so of the book, and so I feel safe in adding Project Journal to the basic things I do daily for my Writing; writing in the Project Journal will not cause me to put off doing my book because I'm meeting a daily quota of pages for the book -- progress is ensured.

I can do the Proj. Journal forever, or stop if it feels unproductive.

Sue Grafton, author of the Kinsey Millhone "alphabet" mysteries ("A Is For Alibi," "B Is For Burglar," etc.) keeps a Project Journal and, I believe, puts it right on-line, on her website, in case fans & aspiring writers want to look. Generous.

No comments:

Post a Comment