Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Sex - City - Boulevard

Last night after work, while doing things at home, I flipped channels back and forth between an episode of "Sex And The City" (the HBO t.v. show) on TBS and "Sunset Boulevard" (black-and-white film noir) on TCM.

Each time the tidal wave of a billion commercials hit me during "Sex" I turned over to "Boulevard" with no commercials.

The William Holden character suddenly recognizes the former star of silent movies, played by Gloria Swanson.

He says,
"Wait a minute. I recognize you.
You're Norma Desmond.
You used to be in pictures, used to be big."

When she speaks, her voice contains just the faintest whiff of contempt, overlaid with pride, dignity, pain, and her sense of displacement. A tiny brief space between each word adds power and effect.

(He says "...You're Norma Desmond. you used to be in pictures, used to be big.")
She replies,

"I am big.

It's the pictures that got small."

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment