Thursday, February 3, 2011

get your ticket at the station

Had an epiphany about the "Information Age" --
on the Internet, you can find answers
to questions
you didn't ask.
----------------------
It allows you to be in a proactive position in a different way than people could, before.
When I found the song
"Rock Island Line"
on You Tube, and listened to various versions of it --
I remembered
that I had thought of that song in two other contexts in my entire life.
Once when I was a very small child, someone -- an adult -- said,
"The rock island line!"
In sort of a rhythmic, strong, enthusiastic way.
And I remembered it, for some reason.
It sounded interesting, or kind of exciting, or -- like something you should find out about.

But I never did --
and then later when I was maybe in junior high, there was this commercial for a collection of records you could send away for: hit songs by a variety of artists -- and they would play just two or three lines from each song, to entice peole to buy the collection -- and one of the songs was Johnny Cash, "Oh the Rock Island Line is a mighty good road, yeah the Rock Island Line is the road to ride..."

His distinctive, compelling voice would catch my attention, & I would wonder about that song.
And then now -- 700,000 years later, somehow I accidentally happen across the song on You Tube -- now I finally get to hear it - !
-----------------------------------
It was like -- I had wondered about the song,
and then the Internet answers what I had wondered about.
It
answers the unasked question.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment