Wednesday, February 9, 2011

they have more money

...
Love and Theft CD,
Bob Dylan
The New York Times,
"We Are All Egyptians"
(Nicholas D. Kristof)
The New York Times,
"Speakers' Corner on the Nile"
(Thomas L. Friedman)
---------------------------------
F. Scott Fitzgerald:
"The rich are different from you and me."
Ernest Hemingway:
"Yes, they have more money."
----------------------------
My father used to tell that story.
Later, somewhere I heard or read that the true origin of that exchange was this:
Ernest Hemingway said to Dorothy Parker (another writer of the 1920s - 30s, etc. Era),
"The rich are different from you and me."
And Dorothy Parker gave the gently sarcastic rejoinder,
"Yes. They have more money."
----------------------------
That tricky Ernest Hemingway "re-wrote" the anecdote and re-told it to all the "literati" he could find, giving himself the punch-line!

(The Hemingway book I want to read is, A Moveable Feast. ...)

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment