Tuesday, July 19, 2011

agree not to talk

You can stand here with me if you want, but you'll have to agree not to talk about the heat.

Where I live it's very hot this week, with humidity mixed in, off and on.
At least today there's breeze.

A person tries not to talk about it -- it's like so boring and obvious, and a person wants to seem stoic and strong and not engage in gratuitous complaining. Be cheerful! Concentrate on what you're doing! Ignore it! (And then...) Oh my gosh, it's just so darned HOT!!
Everyone feels like they are in an oven, or in a blast furnace (whatever that is).

That's why I thought of the film noir, Body Heat:
Ned Racine (William Hurt) walks over to Matty Walker (Kathleen Turner), in the dark during an outdoor concert on a hot Florida night. She's standing by a fence, leaning against it, (smoking, maybe), waiting for a nice breeze in the dark,
and he says,

"You can stand here with me if you want, but you'll have to agree not to talk about the heat."
She gives him a cool-distant once-over with her eyes, turns back to gazing out into the night:
"I'm a married woman."

"Meaning?"
"Meaning I'm not looking for company."
"You didn't say happily married."
"That's my business."
"What?"
"How happy I am."
"And how happy is that?"

"You're not too smart, are you? -- I like that in a man. ..."
---------------------------------------

I and the people I know are just like that.
Self-possessed. Casually attractive, skeptical, witty.
And waiting on a cool breeze.

---------------------------------------
I took that dialogue out of my head: tonight will go home and put on disc and check to see if I got it right. ...

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment