Wednesday, July 20, 2011

into a few things

Yesterday I was testing myself: could I recall a Dialogue Sequence from the movie "Body Heat" -- ?
Here's what I wrote, from memory:

"You can stand here with me if you want, but you'll have to agree not to talk about the heat."
She gives him a cool-distant once-over with her eyes, turns back to gazing out into the night:
"I'm a married woman."

"Meaning?"
"Meaning I'm not looking for company."
"You didn't say happily married."
"That's my business."
"What?"
"How happy I am."
"And how happy is that?"

"You're not too smart, are you? -- I like that in a man. ..."
----------------------

I was close but not right on: taking notes from the film, I got this --
"You can stand here with me if you want, but you'll have to agree not to talk about the heat."
"I'm a married woman."
"Meaning what?"
"Meaning I'm not looking for company."
"Then you should have said I'm a happily married woman."
"That's my business."
"What?"
"How happy I am."
"And how happy is that?"
"You're not too smart, are you? -- I like that in a man."
------------------------------

"Darling! This is Mr. Racine. I'm sorry, I don't know your first name."
Matty says that when she bumps into Ned Racine in a restaurant in their Florida town. Matty's husband emerges from the darkness behind her -- "Darling! This is Mr. Racine...." "He's the lawyer I told you about, with the client who liked our house & wondered if we wanted to sell ..."

Ned is alone, so Matty's husband Edmund Walker invites Ned to join them.
"No, I don't want to impose ..."
"Don't be silly! We have room for three, don't we?"

They sit together at a table.
(Each time in the conversation when there's laughter, it's always the polite, social, controlled ha-ha-ha that people do sometimes -- like in church, if the minister says something funny, people laugh but in a gentle way because they don't want to seem too rowdy because it's church. More like obligatory chuckling, maybe ...)

Edmunds Walker: "I was a lawyer. Well I still am, I guess. But I don't practice. I went to Columbia. You?"

"FSU."

"Yeah -- good school. I got bored with it quick. I guess I didn't have the temperament for it. I wanted to make the money faster. Is there a living in it here?

"I can afford to -- send out my shirts -- and to eat here once a month. If I don't order an appetizer."
[laughter, ha-ha-ha]
Edmund Walker: "Yeah. Yeah, I figured honest lawyers didn't make very much, and the other kind were too slimy for me. No -- I'd rather be up front about shafting somebody."

Matty: "Edmund, really. It's Mr. Racine's profession."
Ned (in a casual, diffident tone): "No -- that's all right. I don't like it much. Call me Ned, will you?"
Edmund: "What's to like? That's the way of the world. Most people despise their jobs."

"Do you?"
"No. No, I love it. But it's not a job."
"What is it, exactly?"
Edmund Walker hesitates, with a cagey half-laugh.
"Oh -- various things. This and that. Here and there."

"You don't have to be specific."
[laughter -- heh-he], "No, finance, basically. Venture capital. Real estate. Investments. We're into a few things."
"Around here?"
"Some. We own some things here."

Matty: "Edmund's company owns The Breakers."
Ned: "Really?"
Edmund W.: "It's not that simple, really. We have an interest in a few places along the shore. For the land. Someday -- but (smiles and nods toward his wife) don't try and explain that to her. ..."

"I'm too dumb. (stands up) A woman, you know.
[ha-ha...] Well -- I'll be right back. Then -- maybe we can talk about pantyhose, or something interesting."
The men chuckle in a good-natured way as she exits the shot.
"Whew!"
"She's something, isn't she?"
"Oh! -- she is a lovely lady."

"Yes, she is.
And I'm crazy aobut her. If I thought she was seeing another guy, I -- don't know. Oh, I could understand how it could happen, her being the way she is -- I could understand it, but I think I'd kill the guy with my bare hands."

"That's understanding."
[polite chuckling)

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment