Friday, July 29, 2011

ladder safety

Recently, was called upon to do a bit of ghost-busting.
(Who-ya-gonna-call?)
We walked all through the house, to every room, upstairs and the basement, and to every closet.
In front of one closed door:
"I don't think anybody could fit in there."

I opened it anyway, to make sure.

I carried the .22 -- as it happens the house is furnished and decorated more beautifully than any home I've ever seen. So I had an odd balance of --
"Uh-oh, what's that?! Oh, it's OK.
What a beautiful picture! -- is that new?
Oh boy, there could be someone in there --
I love those curtains!

Ghost-busting is easier at someone else's house than your own, in a way. Because if you're alone at home, you're the one who's been hearing the sounds and you're more scared. If you just stop in to someone else's house to do it, it's more like a social visit / tour.

A ladder with wide rungs leads to a picturesque loft. We thought the loft needed to be checked. Standing at the bottom of the ladder holding the .22 I remembered in the Safety Committee meeting at work last month, when the Safety Manager discussed Ladder Safety. One of the causes of accidents with ladders is when people climb up a ladder while carrying something.

(The company where I work is very proactive about safety, with a progressive, stringent accident investigation process. I admire that, & think it sets an excellent example for the industry -- for any industry, really....)

I thought of the Safety Manager and the fact that I hardly ever climb a ladder and hardly ever hold a .22, and wondered, Now what would he say about me climbing a ladder tonight, while carrying a loaded gun? Hmmmh.

Thought of what could be in the loft.
Ghosts, maniacs, serial killers.
(Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!)

Ermf. I laid the gun on the dining room table. On the elegant, pretty "runner" decorating the table's top. Mmh. Not a look that's yet been recommended by Martha Stewart, but you never know where decor trends will lead. ...

Climbed ladder: thought of gun and the fact that my friend could take command of it -- almost turned to say, "Cover me!" but didn't want to add unnecessary "drama."

What would I do if serial killer present? (Maybe could talk to him until he runs away. "Hey, are you registered to vote?")

As it turned out, we were serial killer-free.
Ghosts -- I didn't see anything, but of course you can't tell with those.
On "Sex and the City" they talked about ghosts: "You're supposed to confront the ghost, acknowledge its presence, and then tell it to leave."
"How did you know that?"
"Everybody knows that."

I don't believe in ghosts, for myself, but if someone does believe, or has seen one, I wouldn't deride.
I do believe that there in things in the world, and in life, that we're not going to understand. We have to live with the Overwhelming Reality of Enduring Mystery.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment