Friday, September 21, 2012

I understand levity

And speaking of Fashion, the Sept. 17, 2012 issue of TIME magazine includes a one-page feature about a clothing designer named Prabal Gurung -- a laughing (in the photograph) man from Nepal.  (Right there between India and China....) 

First Lady Michelle Obama has worn several dresses by Mr. Gurung. 

He wears jeans and a white tee shirt.  Always.

(I read about another designer who always wears the same outfit -- black, or something.  They want to keep their own clothing utilitarian, and focus on innovation and imagination in the clothing they make for others....)

TIME asked him,
Is it true that you decided to move to the U.S. because you watched an Oprah special about living your dreams?  Are you still a big fan of hers?
P.G.:  "Yes.  She's very aware of the platform she has.  A lot of celebrities just earn.  Nobody says you have to give back.  You do it out of choice, and that decision makes her who she is."

TIME:  You have one of the most highly anticipated shows at New York Fashion Week.  Why should the rest of the country care?
P.G.:  "It's a billion-dollar industry that affects the country economically, socially and culturally.  I make 98% of my collection in New York City and am generating jobs, so fashion isn't just frivolous for me.  I understand levity about it.  I also understand the depth of it."

TIME:  What do you think about Ralph Lauren's outsourcing the production of the U.S. Olympic uniforms to China?
P.G.:  "There must be a reason they did it, and I can't speak on their behalf.  I just hope the reason was good enough at the end of the day."

TIME:  Paul Ryan has caught flak for his ill-fitting shirts.  How would you make him over?
P.G.:  "It's a fun question, but I'm conflicted about answering it.  I wish people would pay more attention to who he is and what policies he supports."

TIME:  Fashion is cyclical by nature, but what's one trend you never want to see come back?
P.G.:  "It saddens me to see the reality-television shows that are getting so much fanfare that are a celebration of stupidity and the degradation of women.  And those women are consistently wearing too short, too tight dresses.  I hope the trend of aging gracefully returns."

---------------------------------
"It's a fun question...."
"...I can't speak on their behalf.  I just hope...."
"I understand levity about it."
"I make 98% of my collection in New York City."
"It's a fun question, but I'm conflicted about answering it."
"I understand levity about it.  I also understand the depth of it."

(A "politician" as well as a designer....)

-30-









No comments:

Post a Comment