Thursday, September 20, 2012

kids write the darndest things

There's an interesting and fun blog which I admire:

Style Rookie,
or
Tavi Gevinson's Blog.

She began writing her fashion-focused site four years ago when she was twelve.
(A precocious young human.)

She references many cultural influences that I don't know about or relate to, and many that I do!  (I always have this moment of being startled and -- 'how does this kid know my favorite Bob Dylan songs, and whatever...' -- but of course with the internet, now, people have access to things....And am guessing she has hip, thoughtful parents.

One of her posts was unexpectedly titled,

"caught a trucker out of Philly, had a nice long toke".

"Caught a trucker out of Philly"...
Caught me by surprise....!

Hmmh, I thought.  I never heard the song that that's from but I like it --
not to promote the smoking of anything illegal, but just the
cheerful, jaunty rhythm of the phrase.

song:  "Wagon Wheel"
band:  "Old Crow Medicine Show"

phrase: 
Walkin' to the south out of Roanoke
I caught a trucker out of Philly had a nice long toke.

It swings.
It rolls.

Ms. Gevinson writes more about fashion and style than I ever thought I would read anywhere -- what draws me to read it is actually the author's ENTHUSIASM for her topics and creativity in exploring ideas and concepts.  Very independent thinker.  I find inspiration there.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment