Thursday, April 4, 2013

a loftier level


In E.F. Benson's 6-volume series of "Lucia" novels, after Elizabeth Mapp and her friend Benjy plan to win the Mayoral election, Lucia runs, and wins.  ("Mapp is livid.") 

Mayor Lucia, having heard of a local man's misfortune and stress, tries a Mayor-Bloomberg-like move -- get people to stop gambling.  (This made me think of the NYC mayor's efforts to outlaw sales of very large cans of soda pop....)

Lucia's micro-crusade is not to make a law against it, but to make a small change:  she herself will refrain from gambling -- "leading by example."

--------------------- [excerpt]------------   "I want to consult you, Georgie," she said.  "Ever since the Hampshire Argus reported that I played bridge in Diva's cardroom, the whole question has been on my mind.  I don't think I ought to play for money."

"You can't call threepence a hundred money," said Georgie.

"It is not a large sum, but emphatically it is money.  It's the principle of the thing.  A very sad case -- all this is very private -- has just come to my notice.  Young Twistevant, the grocer's son, has been backing horses, and is in debt with his last quarter's rent unpaid.  Lately married and a baby coming.  All the result of gambling."

"I don't see how the baby is the result of gambling," said Georgie.  "Unless he bet he wouldn't have one."

Lucia gave the wintry smile that was reserved for jokes she didn't care about.

"I expressed myself badly," she said.  "I only meant that his want of money, when he will need it more than ever, is the result of gambling.  The principle is the same whether it's threepence or a starving baby.  And bridge surely, with its call both on prudence and enterprise, is a sufficiently good game to play for love:  for love of bridge.  Let us set an example.  When we have our next bridge party, let it be understood that there are no stakes."

"I don't think you'll get many bridge parties if that's understood," said Georgie.  "Everyone will go seven no-trumps at once."

"Then they'll be doubled," cried Lucia triumphantly.

"And redoubled.  It wouldn't be any fun.  Most monotonous.  The dealer might as well pick up his hand and say seven no-trumps, doubled and redoubled, before he looked at it."

"I hope we take a more intelligent interest in the game than that," said Lucia.  "The judgment in declaring, the skill in the play of the cards, the various systems so carefully thought out -- surely we shan't cease to practise them just because a few pence are no longer at stake?  Indeed, I think we shall have far pleasanter games.  They will be more tranquil, and

on a loftier level. 

The question of even a few pence sometimes produces acrimony."

"I can't agree," said Georgie.  "Those acrimonies are the result of pleasant excitement.  And what's the use of keeping the score, and wondering if you dare finesse, if it leads to nothing?  You might try playing for twopence a hundred instead of threepence--"

"I must repeat that it's the principle," interrupted Lucia.  "I feel that in my position it ought to be known that though I play cards, which I regard as quite a reasonable relaxation, I no longer play for money.  I feel sure we should find it just as exciting.  Let us put it to the test...."

======================= ...A gloom fell on the party as they cut for partners.  ...Only Lucia remained keen and critical.  She tried with agonised anxiety to recollect if there was another trump in and decided wrong.

"Too stupid of me, Padre," she said.  "I ought to have known.  I should have drawn it....quite inexcusable.  Many apologies."

"Eh, it's no matter...."

Then came the adding-up.  Georgie had not kept the score, and everyone accepted Lucia's addition without a murmur.  At half past ten, instead of eleven, it was agreed that it was wiser not to begin another rubber, and Georgie saw the languid guests to the door.  He came back to find Lucia replaying the last hand.

"You could have got another trick, dear," she said.  "Look; you should have discarded instead of trumping.  A most interesting maneuver.  As to our test, I think they were both quite as keen as ever, and for myself I never had a more enjoyable game."


The news of this depressing evening spread apace through Tilling....
-------------------- [end excerpt]

=================
{Trouble for Lucia.  E.F. Benson.  Copyright 1939.  Doubleday Doran.}

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment