Tuesday, April 9, 2013

there's no one in the place


It's

quarter to three

There's no one in the place

except you and me

So, set 'em up, Joe --
I got a little story
you ought to know--

we're drinking, my friend,
to the end
of a brief episode

Make it one for my baby,
and one more
for the
road.

I got the routine, so drop another
nickel --
in the machine

I'm feeling so bad,
wish you'd make the music
pretty and sad.

Could tell you a lot,
but you've got to be
true to your code

So make it one for my baby
and one more for the road

You'd never know it
but buddy,
I'm a kind of poet
And I got a lot of things
to say

And when I'm gloomy,
you simply got to listen to me
'Til it's all talked away...

Well that's how it goes,
and Joe,
I know you're getting
pretty anxious to close

So thanks for the cheer,
I hope you didn't mind
my bending your ear

This torch that I found
must be drowned
or it soon might
explode

So make it
one for my baby,
and one more
for the road.

That long,

long

road. ...

---------------------------------
{"One for My Baby (and One More for the Road)"
written / Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer
for the musical film, The Sky's the Limit (1943).
First performed:  in the film, by Fred Astaire.
Popularized by Frank Sinatra.  Sinatra recorded it multiple times:  1947, Columbia Records; 1954, Young at Heart soundtrack album; 1958, Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely; 1962, Sinatra & Sextet:  Live in Paris; 1966, Sinatra at the Sands; 1993, for his Duets album.}

Harold Arlen's biographer said the song is "musically inevitable, rhythmically insistent, and in that mood of 'metropolitan melancholic beauty' that writer John O'Hara finds in all of Arlen's music."

---------------------------- ...that's how it goes...

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment